Prune Turbo

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

battwave

Regular.
Reaction score
Noticed today when my wife, on her breakfast health-kick, opened her tinned prunes, that they are canned in apple juice. I threw it in with the fermenting cider as it was sweet and quite interesting in taste. It did make we wonder if it could be used to make a variant on turbo cider?

However I'm not about to start eating prunes for breakfast just to get enough juice - I'll stick to the Larry Hagman diet - vodka on my cornflakes. Anyone got a pressure cooker and some cheap microbore? :eek:

Duncan Incapable's gluten-free ersatz beer recipes use prune juice - a litre of it to 5 gallons of product, IIRC.

How would ya know if you had a bad pint or if it was just the prunes kicking in?

Bran flake wine anyone? :hmm:

Thanks for the amusing replies guys. Made me smile on the way to work on a dull Wednesday morning.

10 gallons of home-pressed cider (avec prune chaser!) safely stowed in pressure kegs for next summer :)

Update on investigations:

More juice drained this morning, so drained into hydrometer jar - SG 1110! - According to my alcohol calc that's got the potential to deliver 13 or 14%.

Dropped it into a tupperware box in the freezer and asked Mrs Battwave to save all future drainings.

Would any of you wine experts have any guidance for fermenting this in its neat form (assuming I get to a gallon) please? What type of yeast would take this from zero to 14% in one fermentation? I've only ever spoon-fed wine yeasts; never given them one big hit of sugar.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Further update: fermenting like a demon with Gervin wine yeast GV4(26).

Mrs Battwave has moved to Asda tinned prunes which have a thicker browner juice, so I don't know what it's going to turn into.

Latest posts

Back