PRV too sensitive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence R

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 14 gall Brewtech Chonical fermenter. V pleased with it but as it’s v heavy when full and the racking arm is lower than the top of a Corny, I need to pressure transfer. First time I did so - no problems, all worked well. Second time the PRV kept leaking at extremely low pressures, pressure gauge on CO2 cylinder barely registering any pressure, I was being v cautious. Resulted in a ridiculously low transfer rate and loss of CO2. Part of the problem was a partially clogged beer transfer line from fermenter to keg but once cleared- PRV kept leaking. Concerned that I was missing some cause of a dangerous rise in pressure I ended up winching the whole fermenter up in the air to transfer under gravity and really don’t want to do that again. Can you adjust a PRV? Would replacing it with a spunding valve be a more controllable (but still safe) solution?

I recall they come in various ratings.
My thinking... if it is only rated at 2.5 psi it is probably a bit low for transfer anyhow.

If it works ordinarily, could you just put a shutoff valve in front on it.?
Not quite sure how I would connect that and I’d be a little worried that any sudden rises in applied pressure (caused by my own stupidity) could damage the fermenter. But thanks for the thought.

Have you removed it and cleaned it? Is it possible that the transfer issues caused some debris to enter it
Well it was all cleaned and sanitised before use and due to my still being on a learning curve with my new brewing kit it wasn’t very full. The transfer issues were with outflow which shouldn’t have pushed any debris upwards. But you never know, I’ll take a good look. Thanks

I recall they come in various ratings.
My thinking... if it is only rated at 2.5 psi it is probably a bit low for transfer anyhow.
Thanks. The Chronical is supposed to be able to handle a low pressure transfer. It is sold with a pressure transfer kit. But I’ll check the rating. Thank you.

Thanks. The Chronical is supposed to be able to handle a low pressure transfer. It is sold with a pressure transfer kit. But I’ll check the rating. Thank you.
The rating is 5PSI. If you have disassembled the PRV you may not have done the spring up tight enough, meaning it will blow at lower pressure. It is simply the spring rating that makes the PRV blow.

I use pumps for transfer. One of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seaflo-LPM-Water-System-Pump/dp/B01MTNBHPT
Make a hell of a noise but are actually very gentle on the beer. These have food-grade diaphragms, be careful as some diaphragm pumps are not food grade.

CO2 in, if doing a CO2 transfer, can be managed by a suitable LPG regulator (one with BSP ports, not those flippin' POL ones), they will happily and accurately maintain <1PSI (so-called low pressure regulators won't!).

There are a few of these about. All look about the same. I purchased because of my back, and its superb. Get a wheeled one and you have a floor to worktop indoor forklift truck.

I will find my exact one..... We were discussing then here a few months ago.

There are a few of these about. All look about the same. I purchased because of my back, and its superb. Get a wheeled one and you have a floor to worktop indoor forklift truck.

I will find my exact one..... We were discussing then here a few months ago.
Hiya...
Yes I found the thread where this was discussed - I see I was wondering what people used these for! Since then I have had an event with my back and so suddenly I can see the benefit. In my case it will be for raising the FV to suitable height for bottling.

Do you use this specific lift, or is that just illustrative? Asking because my back is less keen on the lifting these days
I don’t have one of these, all I had was the chainlift I use to raise the malt pipe in my Brewtools B80. It was quite the performance, using ratchet straps around the fermenter. But if I keep having problems it’s a useful thought. a pump is another. Thank you.

The rating is 5PSI. If you have disassembled the PRV you may not have done the spring up tight enough, meaning it will blow at lower pressure. It is simply the spring rating that makes the PRV blow.
I’ll take a good look at it. Thanks

Back