PRV too sensitive

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "PRV" is a safety protection device. It is not a precision control device! If you want to use a PRV for something it wasn't designed for you must expect disappointments.

Below about 7PSI you are best relying on the wide surface area of diaphragms to get any accuracy, not springs and poppets (balls).

For gas-in, you can get variable LPG regulators in the 20-300mbar range (I use them) ... 300mbar is about 4½PSI. Some cheap small diaphragm regulators will hold down to 5PSI (most won't, often failing at 10PSI!). Small diaphragm regulators will "relieve" (control overpressure in the target) but require the backpressure of gas-in to be consistent (even though it doesn't use gas-in). Even diaphragm PRVs with no backpressure available have trouble maintaining pressure reasonably accurately compared to regulators acting "back-to-front". LPG regulators do not relieve (used for explosive gas!), so accurate very low pressure "PRVs" are difficult to find (and very expensive!).

Cheap pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate, especially at low pressures. One source of relatively cheap low-pressure gauges that's been suggested to me are replacements for "blood pressure apparatus", but I haven't tried them yet.

That's taken quite a few of my years for me to figure out. Most people seem to believe the B.S. the manufacturers tell them (or don't tell them more like) ... or else make the B.S. up themselves!

A "PRV" is a safety protection device. It is not a precision control device! If you want to use a PRV for something it wasn't designed for you must expect disappointments.

Below about 7PSI you are best relying on the wide surface area of diaphragms to get any accuracy, not springs and poppets (balls).

For gas-in, you can get variable LPG regulators in the 20-300mbar range (I use them) ... 300mbar is about 4½PSI. Some cheap small diaphragm regulators will hold down to 5PSI (most won't, often failing at 10PSI!). Small diaphragm regulators will "relieve" (control overpressure in the target) but require the backpressure of gas-in to be consistent (even though it doesn't use gas-in). Even diaphragm PRVs with no backpressure available have trouble maintaining pressure reasonably accurately compared to regulators acting "back-to-front". LPG regulators do not relieve (used for explosive gas!), so accurate very low pressure "PRVs" are difficult to find (and very expensive!).

Cheap pressure gauges are notoriously inaccurate, especially at low pressures. One source of relatively cheap low-pressure gauges that's been suggested to me are replacements for "blood pressure apparatus", but I haven't tried them yet.

That's taken quite a few of my years for me to figure out. Most people seem to believe the B.S. the manufacturers tell them (or don't tell them more like) ... or else make the B.S. up themselves!
More v useful info - thank you. You mention variable LPG regulators in the low pressure range. Ive previously searched for something similar and struggled - do you have a link to a source please?

50-150mbar are easy, and probably cover most uses:

https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/50-150-mbar-clesse-propane-gas-regulator-brooder.html
20-300mbar are harder to find and may come with useless adapters attached (hard to remove and you will need a 7mm Allen key). For example (I actually got mine from a game bird breeding outfit):

https://ebgasservices.com/product/clesse-bp1813-reg-pol-x-10mm-20-300mb/
(I use them for dispensing beer; see my "Treatise" below).

[EDIT: Oops, forgot the "WARNING": Only to be used as secondary regulators. Don't attach them directly to a CO2 cylinder!]

Last edited:
Back