Pubs near hotels

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Good evening everyone. I'm having problems trying to find pubs near hotels. Me and swmbo like the odd weekend away and like to use pubs within walking distance from our hotel. Without sounding snobbish [ which we are not may I add] we like to stay in high class hotels rather than staying in pub accommodation
as we like leisure facilities and like to treat ourselves with a bit of luxury now and then. I have put hotel names in google and tried to put pubs near the named hotel but can't seem to find any good app or web site. I went on a site called pub bug but found It didn't really work as it did not have pubs that I know are near a certain hotel but were not on the site. Any help guys.

Hi Dennis. Trouble is we don't know yet. We do about 2 hotels a year [week end Breaks] and just look for luxury hotels wherever in England and if one catches our eye we are tempted but try and find if there are any decent pubs nearby which we have been disappointed recently as we don't tend to stay in large cities mostly market towns or villages.

The Red Dragon Hotel in Montgomery, Powys, is (or was when we last stayed) an excellent hotel olde worlde place, with swimming pool etc out the back and cask ales on tap in the bar.

If you want lifts and mini bars it's not for you, but if you want good clean rooms, with en suite and friendly staff it's a good place to stop. Book early and get the full four poster experience.

There are three pubs within walking distance in case you don't fancy the cask ales the Dragon has on the bar and the town has a fair bit of history to keep you entertained walking around the place.

http://www.dragonhotel.com/index.html

Doesn't CAMRA list good pubs? Once you know where you're going you could check their website, or publications?

If you plan to stay in a decent hotel, phone the hotel before booking, speak to the concierge and get some recommendations. Then you can Google them to see what they are like.

Hotel concierges are very useful for pub and restaurant advice.

Allow me to make a suggestion.

You could stay at the Castle Hotel in Ruthin, Denbighshire, Wales. It's the ruins of a 13th century Welsh castle made into a 4 star hotel and spa. There are medieval banquets held regularly and the rooms are generally of a rustic style. While the bar in the hotel isn't great for real ale there are many good pubs in the town including the Boars Head, Feathers Inn and the Drover's Arms, Three Pigeons, Golden Lion all serve real ales (Purple Moose is one). During the day "Annie's Tea shop" or a little further away the "Sugar Plum Tea shop" are great for tea & cake, while in the evening "On the Hill" or the "Vale Country club" have excellent food. If the weather is nice there are plently of walks to do in the Vale of Clwyd or it's a short drive to Snowdonia and coastal towns like Conwy or Criccieth. Also, during the summer there is the "Route 76" mobile beer festival which connects pubs in and around the towns of Ruthin and Denbigh via a bus (no. 76 of course) which would be a good time to go.

Latest posts

Back