Pump or hoist?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew double batches (42L) and use a pump to move wort from my kettle to the fermenter which is already in the fridge. No way I can lift 42+kg’s of liquid.
I then transfer the beer like this.

I have recently started using a stainless steel helix filter (recommended by @foxy) )as a hop filter, it seems to cope well with both leaf and pellet hops, for moving wort with a pump or under gravity. So far, I have had no issues with pump blockages and prefer pumping wort to lifting a vessel.

Not sure if its tall enough - but an Aldi/Lidl Bike stand? I picked this up in a dump for free when I needed something to drain mesh bags back into the fermenter.

Attachments

• Aldi Bike Stand.jpg
    Aldi Bike Stand.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 43
I have recently started using a stainless steel helix filter (recommended by @foxy) )as a hop filter, it seems to cope well with both leaf and pellet hops, for moving wort with a pump or under gravity. So far, I have had no issues with pump blockages and prefer pumping wort to lifting a vessel.
Hi. This sounds interesting, but I can't find out what a helix filter is! Do you have a link you could share? Thanks!

If you go the pump route, then I'd recommend getting one that is heat tolerant. Even if you don't use it to transfer boiling wort, running some boiling hot water through it is a very good way of sanitising as it can kill bacteria in deposits in nooks that don't get fully penetrated by sanitising solution.

If you go the pump route, then I'd recommend getting one that is heat tolerant. Even if you don't use it to transfer boiling wort, running some boiling hot water through it is a very good way of sanitising as it can kill bacteria in deposits in nooks that don't get fully penetrated by sanitising solution.
Yes, this is a really important factor. Aside from clogging, this would be my main concern.

I feel your pain having had a partially slipped disc irregularly flare up and wish you a speedy recovery. I'm thinking a pulley/hoist may be in order for lifting my malt pipe in preparation for the sparge in the near future.

I must say when I saw the post title of Pump or hoist? I wondered whether I had the right forum as it sounds like something you'd have to pay extra for at the end of a massage :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back