question on these new fangled Oxebar 8L kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Its been a while since I brewed anything and kit has moved on a bit in the last 12 years

Im going to ferment a kit ale in a 30L pressure vessel with a spunge valve.. intstead of investing in cornies at this stage I have bought 3 x 8L Oxebar bottles from TMM..

the ale will be cold and carbonated before I decant it into the Oxebar kegs. However I have only 1 tapping head (to let me use a disconnect to fill) so ill have to depressurise , whip off the tapping head and screw on a spare bottle cap...

Am I right in thinking that because the beer is near freezing at the point of kegging I shouldnt lose a great deal of carbonation when I change the cap over..

I know I should have stuck to a cornie but there is only so many shiny things I can sneak in past SWMBO at one time

It will definitely still hold some carbonation but just use the 30psi and shake method when swapping them over. People do the same for sparking water in 2l bottles.

It will definitely still hold some carbonation but just use the 30psi and shake method when swapping them over. People do the same for sparking water in 2l bottles.
so from memory that would be , Decant to the keg , pressurise to 30psi, shake as I would have done a Cornie, release pressure and quickly recap. then repeat on next keg/bottle..

That would be my approach and try to get as much air out while swapping the cap. I think that's the best you can do with one tapping head. Either that or use sugar to carb.
They have just released new 19l (might be 20l) oxebar kegs.

Latest posts

Back