R.I.P Thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actor John Savident, best known for playing Fred Elliott in Coronation Street, has died aged 86, his agent has announced

One of Elliott's most distinctive character traits was that he often said things twice, usually inserting the words "I say" between them - for example: "Best of British is that, I say best of British."
Even in his death scene, Elliott said to Unwin "Be happy, I say, be happy".

1708698098962.png
1708698109051.png

The actor was famous for his booming voice while playing the local butcher on the ITV soap.
His co-star Sue Nicholls, who played love interest Audrey Roberts, said she was "very sad" to hear of his death.
"My memories of working with you dear John on the street are a joy, and always will be," she added.
"God bless you and thank you for being in my life. Much love to you and your friends and family."
Savident joined the Manchester-based soap in 1994, and quickly became a favourite with viewers thanks to his huge personality and loud voice.
His storylines involved his disastrous love life, including three marriages and several failed proposals.
A secret son, Ashley Peacock (played by Steven Arnold), also arrived on the show and the two later developed a close bond as they worked as butchers together.
Savident's character was killed off in 2006, suffering a stroke on the day he was supposed to marry Bev Unwin (Susie Blake).
Elliott's death also saw Roberts, his former romantic interest, confess she still loved him following her turning down his proposal of marriage years previously.
The butcher's other previous wives were Maureen Holdsworth (Sherrie Hewson) and barmaid Eve Sykes (Melanie Kilburn).
One of Elliott's most distinctive character traits was that he often said things twice, usually inserting the words "I say" between them - for example: "Best of British is that, I say best of British."

Iain MacLeod, ITV's executive producer for continuing drama, said: "Everyone at Coronation Street is deeply saddened to learn of John Savident's death.
"As Fred Elliott, John firmly established himself in the pantheon of Coronation Street greats.
"His peerless comic timing, combined with a deep pathos arising from his outstanding dramatic skill, made Fred an unforgettable, iconic character that provided great joy to viewers for many years."
Outside Coronation Street, Savident's other screen credits included a role in political comedy Yes, Minister.
He was cast in Doctor Who, Stanley Kubrick's dystopian thriller A Clockwork Orange, biopic Gandhi, war film Battle Of Britain, and period drama Middlemarch.
Savident also appeared opposite Sir Anthony Hopkins in 1993's Oscar-nominated The Remains Of The Day.
He was in the first staging of the musical Phantom Of The Opera, in October 1986 in the West End, as the opera house owner Monsieur Firmin.
Savident returned to play the character in 2011 at the Royal Albert Hall concert film.
After leaving his soap work, Savident appeared on stage in productions of panto Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs and Harold Brighouse's Hobson's Choice.

Born in Guernsey in 1938 to a local fisherman father and a Swiss mother, Savident and his family left the Channel Islands, then under German occupation, and moved to Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, when he was three.
He started his career as a policeman in Manchester and during his six years of service was stabbed in the arm as he tried to break up a gang fight.
Initially pursuing his acting ambitions in amateur productions, Savident quit the force when a producer overheard him talking in a pub and offered him a part as Robin Hood in a London panto, launching his acting career.
Savident was married to theatre director Rona Hopkinson and they had two children.
Broadcaster Tom Hourigan said Savident delivered "arguably one of the most distinctive characters - and deliveries - in British soap history".
Actor Stuart Antony shared a picture of himself with Savident, describing him as "always lovely and witty".
A statement from Savident's agent announcing his death to the PA news agency said: "He was a much-loved husband and father of two and will be sorely missed by all who knew him."

BBC News

Last edited:
Very sad news.

BBC Breakfast November 2023

Myers met wife Liliana Orzac while filming in Romania

1709216706250.png

Dave was born and lived for many years in Barrow-in-Furness 8 miles from where i live this timeline was in the local paper a couple of days ago well worth a read if anyone here is a fan -

Dave Myers: Timeline of key moments in the life of the Hairy Biker​

1709381355448.png

Dave was born in Barrow on September 8, 1957, where his father worked as a foreman in a paper mill.

He attended Barrow's Grammar School for Boys, and in a 2009 interview, Dave spoke of an inspirational art teacher, Mr Eaton.

Dave went on to earn a degree in fine art at Goldsmiths, University of London and did a master's degree in art history.

Myeres started his working life as a make-up artist and first met King in 1995 while working on a TV drama called The Gambling Man.

Their first TV appearance together was The Hairy Bikers’ Cookbook in 2004, which was part cooking show and part travel programme and in the first episode the duo rode the length of Portugal.

In August 2009, the pair hosted a 30-part daytime series for BBC Two, titled The Hairy Bikers' Food Tour of Britain, which aired weekdays. The series saw them visit a different county each day and cook what they considered to be that county's signature dish

Subsequent shows included The Hairy Bikers Ride Again, The Hairy Bikers’ Food Tour Of Britain, The Hairy Bikers: Mums Know Best, The Hairy Bikers’ Cook Off and Hairy Bikers: Best of British.

He reached new fans in 2013 when he took part in Strictly Come Dancing, partnered with Karen Hauer and reaching week seven of the BBC competition.

However he didn't quite go the distance, having attempted a dance-off to 500 Miles by the Proclaimers.

The pair documented their weight loss in Hairy Dieters: How To Love Food And Lose Weight, when they embarked on a campaign to lose two-and-a-half stone in three months, and comfortably passed their targets.

In January 2014, they launched The Hairy Bikers Diet Club, which includes recipes and tips to help people to live a healthier life, while not starving themselves.

In May 2022, Myers revealed that he had been diagnosed with cancer and had been undergoing chemotherapy treatment. In January 2023, he appeared on the BBC Breakfast Show, announcing a new series of The Hairy Bikers TV show and giving an update on his continuing treatment.

Myers and King are currently on TV in the BBC Two series The Hairy Bikers Go West, which started earlier this month. In the show, they travel down the west coast from Scotland to Devon.

He died at the age of 66 on Thursday, February 29, according to a statement from his co-star Si King on social media.

The statement from King said: ” I’m afraid I bear some sad news. Most of you will know Dave has been fighting cancer for the past couple of years.

“Last night, on 28th February 2024, with Lili, Dave’s wife, his family, close friend David and myself by his side, he passed away peacefully at home.

“All who knew Dave are devastated at his passing. His beloved wife brought him such happiness as did her children, Iza and Sergiu who Dave loved like his own.

“Personally, I am not sure I can put into words on how I feel at the moment. My best friend is on a journey that for now, I can’t follow.

“I will miss him every day and the bond and friendship we shared over half a lifetime. I wish you god’s speed brother; you are and will remain a beacon in this world. See you on the other side. Love ya.”

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/24153580.dave-myers-timeline-key-moments-life-hairy-biker/

Not a fan of him as a musician but he has succumbed to that awful disease Cancer RIP Steve

Just heard the sad news on the radio its amazing how many great songs you forget over time then you are reminded when someone dies.

Last edited:
We found out last week one of the lads from work who retired early on health grounds a couple of years ago has died it came as a bit of a shock as he seemed to be doing OK.

I seem to be getting more morbid as i get older at 62 i see people in the news younger than me popping their clogs fairly regularly then i look at my parents who are still going strong in their mid 80's and think why worry, i guess the old saying "Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today, Hope for Tomorrow" should be my mantra.

Latest posts

Back