radiator cooling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danb

Landlord.
Reaction score
after the hot weather the last 2 days the temp in the brew shed has been around 28'c even though its insulated.
I have no where else for all the bottles to go so need to lower the temp a bit. I have 2 fridges in there but want them for fermenting and conditioning not storing.
after some head scratching and searching I noticed vossy and somebody else had spoke about or tried using a car rad with fan and line chiller. 1 was cooling a cellar down to around 15'c.
I have been this morning and fetched a 45gal water butt that I have cleaned out. this will be behind the brewshed that gets no sun what so ever and is cool all the time. I have a big 12v pump that was for a big static caravan supply and going to get a decent size car rad with the fan and shroud fitted. ill be running this off a thermostat so shouldn't be on too much and when running the fan and pump wont be at full power so shouldn't be too noisy.
whilst searching a lot of people use a similar setup with a small rad to cool computers so hopefully this will just be on a bigger scale.

the only bits im unsure of is
wether it will work ok? don't want fridge temps just hopefully if I can around 13'c but upto 20'c I don't mind.
the fan and rad positioning? just inside the shed or with the fan open through the wall to blow outside air through the rad to the inside of the shed.
piping size? does this need to be matched to the pump outlets using reducers onto the rad or do they need to be the rad size then stepping down to the pump.

any help with this would be great. thanks

I went through all the theory Dan but ended up buying a really big freezer (Novum 610) which I thought I'd never be prepared to pay for but I got one cheap :cool:. Why not use a STC1000 to control the temp in the shed. The theory behind the design I was going to use was as the son of fermentation chiller
Imagine a partition in your shed as per the pdf running from bottom to top, output of fan at top as per design. Having a fully perforated floor would be best but It's not essential were looking for close as dammit not rocket science.
One thing I would do is fit a drip tray under the rad with a drain hose to the outside to get rid of any condensation.
I seem to remember on someone extending a bog standard fridge in the same wa for a fv cupboard.

If you do go ahead keep us informed I'd love to see it scaled up to shed size :cool:

im hoping to get it to cool the hole shed as its only 10 x 8 and the brewing stand, fridges and cupboard take up a fair bit of space so should be doable. im thinking without the thermostat and wiring side it will cost less than £10 to setup. I was going to put a big tray under the rad to catch condensation which will drain through the floor.

also was thinking if the 200l of water in the shade warms up quickly through the day which I cant see it doing, ill dig it down under ground which should keep it even cooler. but I am sure I read somewhere that how this sort of system works, the water doesn't need to be really cold to get a decent drop from ambient with a good airflow over the rad fins.

the fridges are tightly fitted underneath the bench and the wall behind isn't insulated but I could add a few vents to the wall behind the fridges if need be. ive had the fridges running constantly until I get a couple of stc's to control them and until the weather got really hot the inside was at decent temps even when doing a 90 min boil it didn't go above 21'c.

Latest posts

Back