Raspberry Wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nixhaz

Regular.
Reaction score
Hullo,

I've limited supplies at the moment, but fancy doing 12L of raspberry wheat beer. I've never tried it, but what the heck, eh.
So...
1 kg wheat malt
1.5 kg pale malt
200g rice hulls
100g sugar
After 4 or 5 days: 700g raspberries
Should make it 1.049 OG, (4.92%) the raspberries will probably bring that up to about 5%.

Hops, I'm thinking of El Dorado just 12g at 20 mins to give 17 IBUs.

Yeast, I've got US05, S04, lager yeast or Sanders. Probably go with US05 as it is pretty neutral.

Questions:
I'm new at BIAB. Are the rice hulls necessary with that method?
Is that enough raspberries?
El Dorado or Challenger hops?
I know I haven't got the right yeast, but do you reckon with the rasps it won't matter?

Thanks!

I did 23L of raspberry Berliner Weisse and added 1kg of raspberry purée (or rather 900g because it was 90% purée 10% sugar)

Given the difference in volumes and the fact there’s more fruit in the purée than actual berries it’ll probably be ok.

I’d go with US-05.

I used to do BIAB until I got my BrewDevil at Christmas and made quite a few wheat beers without needing rice hulls.

I can’t comment on the hops because my raspberry beer was a sour so kept the IBUs as low as I could.

Just made a 10 litres batch to this recipe
1000g wheat malt
1500g Pilsner malt
200g Acid malt
60 min mash, at 66C
60 min boil
10g Challenger 60 minutes
CML Kristallweizen yeast
OG 1058 efficiency 70%
FG. 1012
ABV 6.0%
1000g thawed raspberries after 2 days in primary
Today moved to 2FV

Do you bag the fruit?
I got a few kg of soft fruit in the freezer off the allotment...would it be ok just defrosted in a sterilised fv then added or should I add campden to it?

I bagged in 2 muslin bags and weighted them down . Not sure about the campden tablet my raspberries were 3 bags of frozen ones I left to thaw.

Thanks so much for all the advice, guys. I'll be putting this on in the next couple of days and will keep you posted as to how it turns out.

image.jpeg

16 bottles currently carbing

All bottled in clear bottles.
Keep 'em covered up. Sunlight kills the colour. Some fruit wines can completely lose their colour, so I imagine beers would too. I once made a strawberry wine that was a very promising rose, it came out almost clear after a 6 months in a clear bottle.

That looks like a lot of headspace in your bottles. Is that how much you usually leave? What does the carbonation come out like? I tend to bottle with half that headspace.

Keep 'em covered up. Sunlight kills the colour. Some fruit wines can completely lose their colour, so I imagine beers would too. I once made a strawberry wine that was a very promising rose, it came out almost clear after a 6 months in a clear bottle.

That looks like a lot of headspace in your bottles. Is that how much you usually leave? What does the carbonation come out like? I tend to bottle with half that headspace.
Under the stairs now then the garage but with only 16 bottles they won't be around for long. 😹

Woah that's some colour!!
You should see my Berliner Weisse! I’m assuming the bright pink colour of my BW is down to it only being 3.5% before fruit addition so there’s less grain in there to influence the colour.

OK I finally got around to making it. Only getting 55% brewhouse efficiency in the BIAB system. I must need a finer grind on the grains. Tricky because I mostly do normal mashes so don't need the fine grind for that. How fine is the grind for BIAB.. I mean could I pop it in the nutribullet for a second or something?

I bagged in 2 muslin bags and weighted them down . Not sure about the campden tablet my raspberries were 3 bags of frozen ones I left to thaw.
I used a hop bag too. They've been in there for 3 days now. Should I hoik them out at some point or do they stay in there till fermentation is finished?
Got them from Aldi, only £1.49 a bag for 250g of frozen rasps. Bargain.

Latest posts

Back