Re thanks, but a little more help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all. On Thursday I did my first AG, Timothy Taylor Landlord bitter, the OG then was 1.044, checked twice @ 28*C, today when I checked it was down to 1.012 is this normal?

I have had it happen with kits and would just like to confirm it is normal for AG.

I used Safale so4 and the temp has been between 20*C and 25*C ( today it is 22*C)

Any further advice would be most welcome.

Had a little taste when I checked SG and I can see what all the fuss is about :clap: :party:

Regards Richard G :drink:

Its sounds okay Mr G, just give it time to clear up now :thumb:

Obviously its a bit on the warm side, but it will be fine. Think your FG will be closer to 1008 with s04

Hi Richard, and welcome to the dark side :thumb:

That sounds a bit quick but nothing unusual, you already posted that your FV was above room temperature, which is because fermentation is exothermic (generates heat).

S-04 works fast but then drops out quite nicely, I would still give it 10-14 days and would also expect it to hit 1.008-6.

as moley said give it a week or so as fermentation can leave some undesireables that the yeasts clear up

:cheers: Thanks all for your replies just a couple more questions (sorry but this is my new " baby") PITA I know :lol:

1 Should I rack the brew to a barrel to mature, as I do with Kits?

2 Do I prime or leave that 'till I bottle?

3 Moley did you get my pm re Worcester Hop Shop?

ps Thanks for getting me to the Dark side Ade can't see any way back now. Wanted to start my next brew 2 days later :drink:

well done on the first (of many) AG brews, you can mature your brew in a secondary if you wish - many people reccomend this. If you do then don`t add the priming sugar untill you bottle or keg as you want the fermentation in the bottle to provide co2 to give your beer the fizz :thumb: I prime with a scant half teaspoon of sugar for ales, i use caster because it dissolves easily but you can use whatever sugar you have :cool:
Good luck - TTL is a great pint :cool:

my names richard too - rick was a work thing that fitted well with my forum tag :thumb: Still its better than dick- dick which my young nephews call me much to my sisters pleasure :(

Well done on getting your first AG under your belt Richard!
Don't worry about your gravity, 1012 is quite acceptable and it will come down a little more.
I use a plastic keg to serve mine, it takes at least 4wks to mature properly.

Latest posts

Back