Re-Using Shop Bought Beer Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not used it yet but this looks a good site for making labels... http://labeley.com/

So far all I've done is number each cap with a permanent marker and keep a note of what each batch is (kit type, date, OG, FG, etc). It doesn't look as good as labels if you're gifting bottles or have friends round for a session however.

shocker said:
...the bad point that if left in the shed the ink tended to run...
If you spray the lables with hairspray, the ink doesn't run.

I have found that snails like to eat the paper though :shock:

Dave1970 said:
Some of the labels just slip off if you run them through the dishwasher. I can confirm this works on Fullers, Bulmers, Newcastle Brown & Shepherd Neame bottles.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on my own home made labels, anyone know where you can get computer printable labels that do wash or peel easily

Dave,

I use the A4 Avery L7167 labels which I "find" in the stationary cupboard at work, then print them through one of our Ricoh MFD laser printers.
With a 10 minute soak these labels slide off the bottles (although it's a bit of a pain cutting the labels out as they are a whole sheet of A4).

Hope this helps,

Terry.

Thats what I do, 500ml bottles washed and re-capped. Hobgoblin bottles cant be re-capped with the hand held capper I use which is disapointing as I like the bottle design. I don't bother with long neck 330ml bottles as its a pain in the **** getting 23lts into them(almost 70 bottles) and 500ml fits my favourite glass perfectly. :cheers:

True as a true thing from true town

This is not necessarily true, last night my parents gave me some empties & one was a Hobgoblin bottle, although I have stayed away from these due to the neck, I had manage to cap this with my Youngs Hand Capper.
This was slightly more awkward than the standard bottles but after using 2 caps I figured out how to do it.

Thinking back I had the capper at a very slight angle towards you apply the capper down, I did this on both sides of the cap before I pushed down vertically like capping a standard bottle.
Upon checking a Hobgoblin that I haven't yet drunk the home brew capped bottle fits exactly the same & no water or air comes out.

My tip for those stubborn labels that wont come off and/or leave a load of glue behind is slap a bit of Peanut Butter on it, leave it overnight then it's wash straight off in the morning.

My tip for those stubborn labels that wont come off and/or leave a load of glue behind is slap a bit of Peanut Butter on it, leave it overnight then it's wash straight off in the morning.

Firstly, is that a joke? Secondly, if it isn't, how in hells name did you find out? :lol:

Thirdly, this thread is 5 years old.

Firstly, is that a joke? Secondly, if it isn't, how in hells name did you find out? :lol:

Thirdly, this thread is 5 years old.

Hahaha, I only looked at the date of the post before mine:lol:

The Peanut Butter thing is true though, I was told by a friend who's in to their foraging and making their own jam (therefore reuses jars). I didn't believe it till I gave it a go. Not sure it I makes a difference if you use crunchy or smooth but I'd say the later is probably easier to work with.

Also noted the age of this thread, but they're common questions.

Mayonnaise also works very well. Not sure if it has to be full fat though. ;-) (used house share with a sign writer)

Just worried me there with the hobgoblin as I've collected about a dozen of these and there labels are a bugger to get off sometimes. But gave my youngs hand capper a go just incase as I'm bottling on Saturday. Was a little harder but capped them no problem.
The peanut butter or mayo is the oil in it. Try veg oil it's cheaper.

Just worried me there with the hobgoblin as I've collected about a dozen of these and there labels are a bugger to get off sometimes. But gave my youngs hand capper a go just incase as I'm bottling on Saturday. Was a little harder but capped them no problem.
The peanut butter or mayo is the oil in it. Try veg oil it's cheaper.

Or free packets of mayo from any major food outlet ;-)

I've soaked off the labels from some bottles this week.

The worst are the M&S porter bottles with foil labels, whilst the come off easily, the glue they leave behind is horrible.

I've soaked off the labels from some bottles this week.

The worst are the M&S porter bottles with foil labels, whilst the come off easily, the glue they leave behind is horrible.

'er indoors is fond of Thatchers ciders, which are my main source of bottles. They come with foil labels with horrible glue. I find her nail varnish remover (acetone) works but don't tell.

'er indoors is fond of Thatchers ciders, which are my main source of bottles. They come with foil labels with horrible glue. I find her nail varnish remover (acetone) works but don't tell.

Your secret is safe with me, and is exactly what my GF suggested, so I'll give it a go.

I can get acetone quite easily from work but gives me a stinking headache.

Open a window :-)

I think I've found the perfect bottle. It's this one ...

http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/brasserie+fischer+tradition+amber+ale+beer+alsace+france

When we were in France last year the local supermarket was selling these 650ml bottles for €1.48 each - full of a fairly drinkable beer!

The flip-tops are useless because the rubber seals are welded on and therefore almost impossible to sterilise; however, available at the same supermarket was a bag of 50 flip-tops with loose seals for €11.50 and a bag of 50 spare seals for €1.50.

They are well built bottles and the labels come off easily.

After refilling, when it comes time to drink the contents and the beer has been decanted from the lees, you get a pint glass full to the brim.

I only managed to get twenty of them but we are on our way back to France in March so I will be buying a load more!:whistle::whistle:

Latest posts

Back