Re-using yeast from current brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep Kveik as slurry in a Jar usually but I have never done it but plenty of Youtube vids on how to dry yeast especially Kveik by spreading on baking paper and drying usually with a dehumidifier or in a very low oven even just the light on the oven can be warm enough I believe

I keep Kveik as slurry in a Jar usually but I have never done it but plenty of Youtube vids on how to dry yeast especially Kveik by spreading on baking paper and drying usually with a dehumidifier or in a very low oven even just the light on the oven can be warm enough I believe
Paper and dehumidifier works well, then freeze the flakes.

There are a few good videos on YouTube on washing your yeast for reuse, I've just started doing it after trying an expensive liquid yeast and wanting to get my moneys worth.

Just need a few jars and some time to swirly it about and decant a couple of times to get rid of the trub at the bottom and the old beer on the top.

The latest brew is on generation 4, had no problems yet. It's not recommended to go much past 6 or 7 generations apparently.

It's a bit of a faf, but what's another bit or faf amongst all of the rest in AG brewing.

Unless your yeast is full of hops from a dry hop, rinsing it with water is really unnecessary and just as likely to cause a problem as it is to solve any.

If you need to dry hop a beer that you're going to reuse the yeast from, it's better to either use a hop bag or transfer the beer before dry hopping.

On a pro scale they will do acid washing of yeast, but that's for a different purpose.

I’ve re used yeast a few times, usually when brewing fairly soon after kegging the first beer.

I use a sanitised serving spoon to scoop out the trub and storing in a jam jar or pint glass in the fridge until it’s ready to be used again. Never done more than 2 generations though.

I’ve used Kveik for 3 generations by top cropping and storing in a jam jar in the fridge.

I once used 3 month old slurry with no problems. I did make a kind of rough and ready starter though. Details in post 104 here:
Post in thread 'My Brewdays'
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/my-brewdays.92366/post-1207671

I’m not saying this is best practice, just that I’ve got away with it a few times 😂

I routinely re-use yeast, by basically pouring the trub from a (New Sachet) brew into a jug and thence into 4-6 250ml bottles (formerly containing lemonade) which go in the fridge. I only ever go one generation down and chuck anything that has been in the fridge longer than a few (3-4) months.

As others have said, I get the yeast bottle out of the fridge early on brew day and chuck the whole lot in. Never had any problem with this approach, but the attenuations I experience are quite high. Could be the mix of yeasts I use - US05, Gervin, Saison, Belgian Abbeye , Wheat etc.

No issues at all, really, though I brew to my own preferences, rather than Competition styles.

Latest posts

Back