Re-Yeasting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Bit of a newbie question here. I recently got a brew kit thrown in with some equipment i bought on eBay and it was nearly out of date. I brewed it up regardless (it was a freebie afterall) and it's been two days and I haven't seen any signs of fermentation yet.

Should I be worried about this? and if nothing happens would it be worth buying some fresh yeast and adding it to the vat?

It's an Ale and it's around 19-21 degrees. I know you're meant to wait a week before really worrying about a brew not fermenting, I guess I'm just a bit paranoid about the age of the yeast.

I would have expected to see signs of fermentation by now. Did you re-hydrate the yeast before pitching?

Yeast stored in or at 'room temperature' for some time often fails to work. Pitch a new packet

Bit of a false alarm here. I got home today and the brew had developed a nice froth and the Airlock was bubbling away nicely. I guess the yeast was just a late bloomer.

Still, for future reference would adding more yeast after the initial brew day affect the brew in any negative ways? Is it ever recommended?

Latest posts

Back