Ready made Hop tea bags for dry hop.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
I’ve got some of those new super charged ones from getterbreeed and they come in their own bag.

Normally I would Chuck hops straight in or stick in a sanitised stainless steel spider thing.

Surely the bag needs sanitising? Has anyone just chucked it in? How would you sanitise a bag that already has hops in?

I may just cut it open and drop them in but interested in what others do with these pre bagged hops?

I’ve got some of those new super charged ones from getterbreeed and they come in their own bag.

Normally I would Chuck hops straight in or stick in a sanitised stainless steel spider thing.

Surely the bag needs sanitising? Has anyone just chucked it in? How would you sanitise a bag that already has hops in?

I may just cut it open and drop them in but interested in what others do with these pre bagged hops?

Never used them but if you're dry hopping then your beer is mostly fermented. As long as the bags are clean you're unlikely to infect your beer (due to the presence of alcohol, boil hops and the low pH), and the dry hops will help prevent anything nasty growing.

If you were particularly worried maybe a quick soak in some Starsan would do?

If it were me I'd probably just bung them in...

That’s kinda what I thought. But I’ve had a couple of infections before so am careful these days!

I use the CML Falconers flight ones and Chuck them straight in, never had a problem.

In the Geterbrewed video on these, he puts them in boiling water, leaves it a while and then empties the bag plus the hop tea into the FV. The boiling water being added should sanitise them.

Back