Recent Topics on the Forum.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyboy1965

Landlord.
Reaction score
Seems to be ...cleaning/sanitizing...a very good topic.
I suggest everyone does the Level 1 Food Hygiene Training.
Its available on-line, free of charge through Gov.uk or something, just Google it.
It will give you a good grounding on hygiene/sanitizing/sterilizing.
When to clean, when to sanitise and when to sterilize.
Well worth 15mins of your time

While we're on the topic of topics....

This is probably the only forum I visit where not searching for an answer before asking a question that's been addressed a dozen times that week already flies.

There's a few topics (such as "why does my Wilko's Cerveza kit taste like socks?") that seem to do the rounds weekly. Same questions, same answers, over and over.

Does anyone else find this lack of any "search before posting a new topic" policy detrimental to the forum?

While we're on the topic of topics....

This is probably the only forum I visit where not searching for an answer before asking a question that's been addressed a dozen times that week already flies.

There's a few topics (such as "why does my Wilko's Cerveza kit taste like socks?") that seem to do the rounds weekly. Same questions, same answers, over and over.

Does anyone else find this lack of any "search before posting a new topic" policy detrimental to the forum?

My sentiment entirely, but the moderators will tell you that its the nature of all forums.I can't believe Terry keeps dishing out the same advice and links at least 3 times a week. He must have very thick skin

My sentiment entirely, but the moderators will tell you that its the nature of all forums.I can't believe Terry keeps dishing out the same advice and links at least 3 times a week. He must have very thick skin
Spot on,it is the way of most forums on most topice.I must admit i don't always search before asking a question and sometimes just dive in.
Probably most newbies would be guilty of such crimes.:electric:

No just thick :-?
Perhaps we need a well stocked FAQ section for lazy homebrewers.
The first entry could be "Where is the Forum search engine and how do I use it"

It’s not very good to be fair. The other week I was trying to find a thread on uncrushed grain. I knew I had seen several before, but could I find one on the search function? I ended up starting my own, even though I know there have been dozens.

No just thick :-?
Perhaps we need a well stocked FAQ section for lazy homebrewers.
:hmm:Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
where is the forum search engine?:grin::grin:

Terry doesn't have to link to his post he chooses to and no one is forced to answer another thread titled "Does my brew look infected" but many do every time it is asked as people like to help those starting out and who are nervous about their first attempt at brewing.

The FAQ thread has been discussed before and the reason we don't have one is because if people could simply find an answer by looking at a FAQ thread they are unlikely to join the forum the forum needs new members to survive so new members asking questions is encouraged even if they have been asked before, if everyone used Google places like this would not exist.

Have a look at rule number 12 - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/announcement.php?f=13&a=6

Terry doesn't have to link to his post he chooses to and no one is forced to answer another thread titled "Does my brew look infected" but many do every time it is asked as people like to help those starting out and are nervous about thir first attempt at brewing.

The FAQ thread has been discussed before and the reason we don't have one is because if people could simply find an answer by looking at a FAQ thread they are unlikely to join the forum the forum needs new members to survive so new members asking questions is encouraged even if they have been asked before, if everyone used Google places like this would not exist.

Have a look at rule number 12 - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/announcement.php?f=13&a=6

Join and you a get access to the Forum search thingy and the FAQs. Don't join and you don't.
And we also have Rule 14 "Please use the search tool before posting a question"

no one is forced to answer another thread titled "Does my brew look infected" but many do every time it is asked as people like to help those starting out and are nervous about thir first attempt at brewing.

I jest about the 117 "Does my brew look infected" posts - I rather like the fact that nobody gets snippy about repeat questions here. It makes this place more welcoming, and there's nothing like a personalised answer to a question when you're a new brewer to keep you interested. I certainly asked a few daft questions (though they didn't seem like it at the time) when I first joined, and appreciated the help I got. Given how homebrewing seems to be taking off and the number of new members we're getting it's only going to get worse so best get used to it!

To be honest i doubt many members know the rules exist.

Rule 14 "Please use the search tool before posting a question"

Rule 12. Do not tell members to "Google it" or "Try Searching", If a question has been answered before answer it again or provide a link.

Rule 14 encourages members to search if they do not and ask a question that has already been asked they will not be chastised for not searching, if members find repeated questions annoying simply move on to the next you are not forced to read them and its not like we get the same question several times every day.

I jest about the 117 "Does my brew look infected" posts - I rather like the fact that nobody gets snippy about repeat questions here. It makes this place more welcoming, and there's nothing like a personalised answer to a question when you're a new brewer to keep you interested. I certainly asked a few daft questions (though they didn't seem like it at the time) when I first joined, and appreciated the help I got. Given how homebrewing seems to be taking off and the number of new members we're getting it's only going to get worse so best get used to it!

I agree whole-heartedly. I just switch off and let terry or chub get on with it. If I want to read something interesting I look through Gunges posts:lol:

Join and you a get access to the Forum search thingy and the FAQs. Don't join and you don't.

As i said earlier if new members can read a FAQ thread there is no reason for them to post a question the forum needs new threads and posts to survive, i doubt the forum owner wants a FAQ thread or he would have put one in place already, as i have also already said this subject has been discussed before.

I've had very little luck with searching. I usually just get too many hits and can't find the relevant information. Not always mind you!

I've asked questions which have bound to have been asked before. Most of the time I've looked through Google and got results but they don't deal with my specific problem.

This is the only forum I've ever joined and I think it's great!

Google has taken me to various forums over the years for all sorts of different hobbies/problems etc. Nearly all have had bit**y responses on these threads for miles and I've always regarded forums as really quite unfriendly places.

I don't answer too many questions simply because I haven't got the experience myself or I've seen a reply which states what I would have said. I think it's not worthwhile putting my tuppence in to just duplicate what folks have already said.

So in short I think the way things are is great! And you don't have to look at a "stuck wherry" thread if you don't want to!

As a moderator on a few forums, I never mind repeat questions. I think that people like personalised answers to their situation. Even if it's asked before, reassurance is a good thing to your own situation.
And Doctor Google can give you a million responses and you don't always know which is right. Google sanitisation and sterilisation and you get a million different things. Google best beer kit and get a million more. You can find hundreds of Home Brew Books on Amazon, which one do you trust?
And things do change. We learn from each other. We get experience. We realise that our beer tastes off. Or amazing. Or whatever.
As I always say when I moderate, "You don't have to read or answer if the question annoys you. Read the ones you like." It becomes no fun when someone says "We've been here before. You obviously suck" (in whatever words they use).
I do like this forum ,lots of nice folks here who answer all the things.

I agree whole-heartedly. I just switch off and let terry or chub get on with it. If I want to read something interesting I look through Gunges posts:lol:
Umm, perhaps I need to take a holiday from this stressful environment :lol:, and let someone else bore the pants off people. There are a few on here who are more than well equipped to do that, as some of their posts demonstrate. :-o

Umm, perhaps I need to take a holiday from this stressful environment :lol:, and let someone else bore the pants off people. There are a few on here who are more than well equipped to do that, as some of their posts demonstrate. :-o

You do a damn fine job, which needs the patience of a saint at times, I couldn't do what you do...I don't have the time and certainly not the patience. Im putting you both through for Gongs in the New Years honours list:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back