Red Plum Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After making an old ale I felt I wanted something with a plum-like flavor is something a bit more drinkable. My first attempt wasn't quite red enough and was only vaguely plum-like. I'm brewing the revision now. This is what I have:

(5.25 gals) mashed @ 153*
7.5 lbs 2-row
1 lb Special B
0.75 lb carared
0.5 lb carafoam
0.375 lb unmalted hard white wheat
0.75 oz Willamette (5.1%) @ 70/21 mins
0.5 oz Willamette @ 7 mins
US-05

1.053/1.011
5.5% ABV
24 IBUs
14 SRM

I'm uncertain how much Special B I can use before it may become overbearing or terrible in some way.

Where's the plum flavour going to come from? Is that a characteristic of this special B stuff?

I have plans for a plum porter. To get the plum/berry flavour I'm going to use 2kg of plums which I'm going to stew down into a syrup with a little sugar, these will go in the end of the boil. Also 300g of special B, and late additions of Bramling Cross hops which have a Blackcurrant flavour.

I've not used special B before so can't say how much is too much. I'm waiting for plums to come back in to season so I can get a good flavour from them.

I'm also going for an English Ale yeast strain which should contribute fruity esters. US-05 is very neutral.

In large enough amounts it gives a plum/raisin-like flavor.

The darkest of the Belgian crystal malts, Special B will impart a heavy caramel taste and is often credited with the raisin-like flavors of some Belgian Abbey ales. Larger percentages (greater than 5%) will contribute a dark brown-black color and fuller body.

Although both very similar, a mix of spec b and caraaroma will give those plum/prune/dried fruit notes. If I was using ~10% I'd look at lowering the mash temp dry it out a bit as they're already pretty 'chewy/sweet' crystal malts. Some Belgian yeasts will throw off plum notes as well, but depends if you want some of the other Belgian esters and phenols in your old ale..

A few port-soaked oak staves might help bring some plum to the table as well.

Thanks!

I just brewed this so time will tell how far off I might be. I wasn't exactly looking for plum per se, but wanted that flavor I got in my old ale but a little more pronounced. But reading of a very plum-like flavor has me considering trying for a truly plum-like beer.

I was given a very informative response on another forum:

"I brew a beer that, while not red in color, has a **** load of red plum character. The key is a big dry hop addition of Caliente. I use Wyeast Canadian/Belgian when it is available, otherwise WY1762. Some D-90 and just a touch of Special B (4oz or so) round things out. Makes for one major plum bomb."

I'm beginning to ponder using plums...

Have you tried Titanic Brewery's Plum Porter?

It's my favourite ever winter beer and my local get it in specially every time I run a quiz night for them.

Titanic apparently use plum syrup for ease and repeatability.

"Special B® is the darkest of the Belgian caramel malts, and oh how special it is. It has a unique aroma and flavor that is very complex. It imparts a heavy, dark caramel taste with more subtle notes of burnt sugar, raisin, and dark dried fruits such as cherries and plums. It can also deliver some of the softer roasty notes of a chocolate or black malt but without the astringency or bitterness. Special B® will produce a deep brown color with ruddy highlights and add body and foam stability like all caramel malts. Use it to brew traditional Belgian Abbey and Trappist Ales, Dubbels and Dark Strong Ales, but also try it in brown ale, stout and porter, doppelbock, or any other dark beer, to add an extra layer of complexity. 120-140°L"

I have used it once but in a Saison I think

Have you tried Titanic Brewery's Plum Porter?

It's my favourite ever winter beer and my local get it in specially every time I run a quiz night for them.

Titanic apparently use plum syrup for ease and repeatability.

This is where my idea for a recipe came from. I am not usually that keen on big dark malty beers but I'd heard good things so picked up a bottle in Lidl. It was superb! Beautifully well rounded and plummy without any of the biting acrid taste that you can get from darker roast malts.

My recipe (which keeps being tweaked) is here if you're interested http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/318601/plum-porter.

Special B is very nice. I used 3% in a mild and it rounded out well. Tasted like those slightly burnt raisins you get on top of a cake. It does take a while to round out though.

I plan to use it in a stout and a dubbel at some point.

This is where my idea for a recipe came from. I am not usually that keen on big dark malty beers but I'd heard good things so picked up a bottle in Lidl. It was superb! Beautifully well rounded and plummy without any of the biting acrid taste that you can get from darker roast malts.

My recipe (which keeps being tweaked) is here if you're interested http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/318601/plum-porter.

Interesting. That looks like quite a pale porter. I shall definitely be trying one of my own when autumn rolls back around.

And news that they sell it in Lidl might make me renege on my vow to not buy beer again!!

Special B is very nice. I used 3% in a mild and it rounded out well. Tasted like those slightly burnt raisins you get on top of a cake. It does take a while to round out though.

I plan to use it in a stout and a dubbel at some point.

Sounds lovely. Looking forward to using it in a brown ale now. I'm going to just follow the brown ale reciepe in Greg Hughe's book but dial it down o about 4% and replace the crystal with special B

Latest posts

Back