Refermenting Blackberry wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denn

Reaction score
Hi. I collected just over six kilo of Blackberries and followed a recipe from a web site. I actually froze them after each collection.
I placed them all in a brewing bin and added hot water as the recipe suggested. When melted and cool I added the wine yeast and nutrient along with other stuff which i bought online.
It has been bubbling for three weeks but seems to have stopped. I did squeeze all the juice from the blackberrys with a masher but fermented the batch with the crushed fruit. I have since removed all the berries but the contents seem a tad thin. There is three gallon.
I was going to buy a small tin of red wine concentrate and add that to the contents and re ferment it, is that possible or would I ruin the entire batch.

Denn.

Blackberry wine won't be merlot red, more like a dark rose.
Unless you add a load of elderberry or something.

2kg per gallon is a good amount and should be a nice tasty tipple

Hi. I collected just over six kilo of Blackberries and followed a recipe from a web site. I actually froze them after each collection.
I placed them all in a brewing bin and added hot water as the recipe suggested. When melted and cool I added the wine yeast and nutrient along with other stuff which i bought online.
It has been bubbling for three weeks but seems to have stopped. I did squeeze all the juice from the blackberrys with a masher but fermented the batch with the crushed fruit. I have since removed all the berries but the contents seem a tad thin. There is three gallon.
I was going to buy a small tin of red wine concentrate and add that to the contents and re ferment it, is that possible or would I ruin the entire batch.

Denn.
I always add a couple of bottles of Asda red grape juice to my red wine fruit. Not only is it cheap - but enhances the colour and depth of flavour. If you picked wild berries it's quite possible your wine will be fairly pale as they don't get sufficient nutrients from the soil.

Back