Removing foam - should I ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PD

Landlord.
Reaction score
When I do a boil on a brew, as the temperatures reach boiling point, a thick creamy foam is produced on top of the wort.
This seems to get thicker and more creamy as boiling point is reached. Its firstly a nice creamy coloured foam but as the first huge bubbles begin to surface, it darkens and goes very thick until it sort of turns itself inside out allowing the boil to commence.
Now I've always assumed that this foam is composed of air coming out of the wort with the rising temperature mixed with rubbish and detritus. As the boil goes on this foam disappears and hot break material ( proteins ) start floating around in the wort.
I've read recently ( but now cannot find it ! ) that it is beneficial to the clear tasting of the final beers to remove as much foam by skimming it off before the boil starts, and removing it from the wort.
Does anyone know if this is the case ? My aim and taste preference in beer brewing is to end up with a clear sparkly fresh tasting sharp ale....
Would removing some or all of this pre boil foam assist in this ?

i think its called hot break-
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/whats-hot-break-256234/
i tend to side with their consensus that if all goes well it will probably be removed either as leftover trub or in the fermentor as its just proteins (proteins are good for head retention aswell so maybe dont want to remove all of them?) still if your concerned im sure it wont harm the beer any

yea...I'm not convinced that the foam is the hot break, but most folks do seem to say leave the foam alone it will get left behind with the trub or in primary fermenter.

It won't be the hot break just as your wort is coming to the boil. This will occur 20-60mins later, if at all. Regarding whether or not to skim... I too recall reading somewhere that you can remove it but, to be honest, I've never bothered.

I call it the hot break, dunno if it is or not. It is protein type stuff anyway, on lagers i'll skim the foam and the brown bits, don't bother too much for ales. Bit of trub puts hairs on your chest!

why skim on lagers ? does it make for a clearer brew ?

I've never bothered with skimming in the past, just wondered if it would make any improvement

I tasted a bit of this that formed a really dense dark skin and it was bitter as hell.
I once did a brew where I had a boil over and lost a lot of wort, including this head. It turned out to be one of the best beers I've done. Of course, there are other factors that could have made it such but I've always wondered about the same thing ever since.

I've been wondering the same thing. I've read some posts where people skim the foam and others where people just leave it. Will wait for Aleman to to comment as he seems to be the expert on all things "Hot break". Interesting post from way back when... viewtopic.php?f=36&t=494

I think it's time for someone to do an experiment... 5G split in two after the mash and boiled (one with skimming and one without) Any one up for it? Happy to do it myself if anyone wants to donate their AG equipment for the cause! ;)

LeedsBrewer said:
I think it's time for someone to do an experiment... 5G split in two after the mash and boiled (one with skimming and one without) Any one up for it? Happy to do it myself if anyone wants to donate their AG equipment for the cause! ;)

:rofl: I like your style!

No need to skim, no commercials skim as far as I am aware If there was a benefit I am sure they would skim.

Therefore don't worry about it, concentrate on getting your mash dialed in and controlled, and control your Fermentation temp as accurately, as you can, as these two factors will have more bearing on your finished beer than a bit of scum on the boil.

UP

Like Shane I've never skimmed or heard of any one skimming. The hot break will normally occur at least an hour into the boil.

robsan77 said:
I once did a brew where I had a boil over and lost a lot of wort, including this head. It turned out to be one of the best beers I've done. Of course, there are other factors that could have made it such but I've always wondered about the same thing ever since.

My only ever boil-over (what a mess on an electric cooker :shock: ) resulted in probably my best ever brew....makes you wonde :hmm:

cwiseman77 said:
robsan77 said:

My only ever boil-over (what a mess on an electric cooker :shock: ) resulted in probably my best ever brew....makes you wonde :hmm:

Boil over suggests a vigorous boil, you will get better hop isomerisation break etc with a vigorous boil hence that's prob why the brew was good.

UP

Latest posts

Back