Restarting fermentation after fining?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbpicklesno2

Beer First
Reaction score
Does anyone know if its possible to restart fermentation again after finings have been introduced and the fermenter been cold crashed for three days. I had a bit of a mix up and added the finings to the wrong fermenter and only noticed today when I was about to bottle. Took a refractometer reading and finding it at 1028.

A very sweet and full bodied Belgian Dubbel (albeit with Fullers yeast).

Oops.

If nobody knows, I should in 24 hours time.

My Understanding is finings only act on the the protiens in the wort and not the yeast by binding with them and making them heavy so they sink to the bottom of the FV thus clearing the beer.
It's the cold crashing which will possibly/probably have caused the stuck brew by crashing all the yeast to the bottom of the FV so its no longer fermenting the wort. Give the yeast a rouse/stir and see if it gets it going again

I'm going to give it a rouse in the morning when it gets up to temp. It was gelatine I used as finings and that works best at colder temps. I'm hoping it'll all start up again by lunch.

Let's see. It's got quite a long way to go.

Some commercial brewers will use finings and isinglass to drop the proteins and the yeast and then will add the same or second yeast for secondary fermentation. As long as the beer has fermentables then the yeast will continue to act. nothing wrong with adding more yeast if the rousing doesn't work,

Well my English Belgian Duppel is off and running again. So the answer to the original question is, 'fining the beer makes no difference to the fermentation process'.

Just proves how robust beer really is and that you have to make a monumental cock up to make an undrinkable beer.:whistle:

Latest posts

Back