ribena wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplategt

Reaction score
hay im going to make some ribena wine today in approx 1 hour lol, just need some advive. i bought the cordial the 2l one it was on offer i cant find the amount of sugars inside as it only stated it when diluted. dialema. im going to use this method Ribena wine
Maths;
1 litre of ribena = 525 grms sugar

4.5 litres of wine @ 12%
12x18=216 grams sugar per litre
216 x 4.5 = 972
972 - 525(ribena) = 447 grams sugar

Ingredients;
1 Litre ribena
500 grms sugar
8 blackcurrent tea bags
2 normal tea bags
Young's super yeast

Method;
Boil ribena, sugar and lemon juice for 20 mins
Place 2 normal tea bags and 8 blackcurrent tea bags in a cup. Pour in boiling water and leave for 20 mins. Squeeze out tea bags and pour liquid into demijohn (dj). Add cooled ribena solution to dj, top up with water. Add yeast and seal.

ok so my questions are once i have filled it up with water is that it done or do i have to add more water later?
also can some one aid me in to how much sugar to add to make this to around 18%
i bought campden tablets and stabilising powder and aim to stop it on a medium-sweet wine do i just add them when the hydrometer shows medium-sweet?
last question is how much water am i adding to my fv with the 2 litres of ribena? 9lirtes or 10litres?
any other info would be great as this is my first wine im attempting

Don't make it to 18% - you can't with Youngs, don't try! - it will taste rubbish, if you ever get there.

You won't need to be adding Campden Tablets to stop it if you're going that high! It will kill itself.

Asd

asd said:
Don't make it to 18% - you can't with Youngs, don't try! - it will taste rubbish, if you ever get there.

You won't need to be adding Campden Tablets to stop it if you're going that high! It will kill itself.

Asd

well aroung 15% was my first thought so im going to stick around the 15 mark

asd said:

Asd

i will have to add campden for when i add more sugar to sweeten wont i ? also alot of people diss the youngs yeast i think its ok, only used 2 kinds and this was the best my prior winey/ciders turned out to be around 10,12% and fermented to 999. every one told me it wouldnt get down to that point and it did. i know 15% is a little stronger but i was adding around 1kg of sugar to a cider kit before hand and it didnt kill it

So, what I think you are saying, you want to kill the yeast early, then back sweeten? But the yeast will probably be on its last legs at that OG , if you get it there.

Well, regarding the addition of the Campden, the yeast may well be very dead before you add it, but if not, it's a good point, if you can nurture the yeast to that level. If I could ferment out a Young's yeast to 18% and then wanted the wine to be sweet, I would probably not add a Campden, as it would make the wine taste of So2 which I don't like, and I think is a curse on good wine taste, and is in almost all bottles of wine I buy.

I would chill my wine in the fridge or freezer, not use Campdens drop the yeast and decant off, add my sweetener (this is theoretical) -if sugar, keep the temp below what would restart a fermentation, if artificial sweetener, well, it doesn't matter really, because the whole thing is ****, but at least you get ****** cheaply - which is something I am broadly in favour of.

BTW I thought the original recipe was interesting.

ASD

asd said:
So, what I think you are saying, you want to kill the yeast early, then back sweeten? But the yeast will probably be on its last legs at that OG , if you get it there.

Well, regarding the addition of the Campden, the yeast may well be very dead before you add it, but if not, it's a good point, if you can nurture the yeast to that level. If I could ferment out a Young's yeast to 18% and then wanted the wine to be sweet, I would probably not add a Campden, as it would make the wine taste of So2 which I don't like, and I think is a curse on good wine taste, and is in almost all bottles of wine I buy.

I would chill my wine in the fridge or freezer, not use Campdens drop the yeast and decant off, add my sweetener (this is theoretical) -if sugar, keep the temp below what would restart a fermentation, if artificial sweetener, well, it doesn't matter really, because the whole thing is ****, but at least you get ****** cheaply - which is something I am broadly in favour of.

BTW I thought the original recipe was interesting.

everyone to their own mate cheers 4 the info tho. i think i will go for 15% instead of the 18 lol but if it turns out to be over 12 i will still be happy, yes i wana get drunk cheaply lol. its the maths im stuck on i cant see how much sugar is in my ribena and the maths is for 1l i have 2l and im quite sure i dont just double the sugar content. if i just follow the recipie and the sugar content is different then crist knows where i will be at. i also like the original recipie and 12% is also ok but if i can add just a little more sugar to make it 14 or 15% then happy days for me

ASD

also asd it my 1st attempt its all a learning curve, i dont know if i will have to stop the fermentation or not if i do i have the stuff to do it. and yea i want to stop it around medium-sweet and then sweeten it by adding sugar or a little more ribena. just to make it sweeter on the tounge

ive got my ribena boiling with 900g of sugar added, ive made a cup of tee with 2 tee bags and gave them a good squash against the side, 1ce its cooled a little im going to add the ribena, tee and 7litres of cold water ontop and mix to give me 9litres. then i will let it cool to around 25 degrees and take a gravity reading and post it up. hot ribena is lovley lol. ok

its at 28 degrees and gravity is at 1070 with a potential alcohol of 11% so i was a way off thinking id get to 15% however im still happy with 11% and maybe as it cools this will rise. next time im going to use 3litres of ribena and top it up to 15 litres of water use more sugar and hope i get it a little higher and maybe use a turbo yeast? would that work ?

Hi, good morning!

The turbo yeasts make rubbish alcohol which has to be cleaned up afterwards with carbon. I have tried them. Why not try a Gervin purple GV4 yeast? I haven't tried it, but if I was on the high alcohol thought train, that is what I would use. If you are going to aim for a very high alcohol wine, then in my opinion you are best off making a yeast starter, then fermenting your brew at not too high a temperature at the start, feeding the yeast with a lot of nutrient, and serially introducing sugar as the fermentation progresses.

Regards,

asd

I got a wine to about 17% with Youngs wine yeast, although it was more of an experiment in staggered sugar and nutrient additions. It finished dry at 17%-ish though, so might have went further but I didn't want it to, 6 months later it's still barely drinkable!

Homebrew wine is cheap drunkenness anyway, the extra few % is only pennies worth of sugar, but months of extra aging! I think everyone experiments with high abv brews, but now I'd rather have a nice 12% wine I can drink two bottles of with ease, and if I end up on the floor afterwards, well, I had fun getting there :D

Gayle said:
I got a wine to about 17% with Youngs wine yeast, although it was more of an experiment in staggered sugar and nutrient additions. It finished dry at 17%-ish though, so might have went further but I didn't want it to, 6 months later it's still barely drinkable!

Homebrew wine is cheap drunkenness anyway, the extra few % is only pennies worth of sugar, but months of extra aging! I think everyone experiments with high abv brews, but now I'd rather have a nice 12% wine I can drink two bottles of with ease, and if I end up on the floor afterwards, well, I had fun getting there :D

thats what i like 2 here gayle. how do you calculate the % if you stagger the sugar?

Latest posts

Back