RINSING RINGWOOD FROM FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewster324956

Reaction score
Gents ,

Racked off Old Thumper Clone last night and thought I would rinse the left over yeast in the bottom of the FV .
Anyway there are a few good how to guides to do this on the forums which I've done successfully with wyeast 3068 .
The current brew that I've tried to reclaim has not played ball.

500 mil of cooled boiled water poured on to trub then split into to kilner jars and wait for the three layers to appear namely water,yeast in suspension and trub.However I've been left with two layers top layer of water/beer and a porridgey milky substance that has set like a blacmange I'm at a loss as to what to do to seperate the yeast ?or should I just bin it .

Any advice please

:cheers:

Funnily enough that happened to me when I tried to reuse some yeast.
extractbrew003.jpg

I binned it so would also like to know if I could have done anything!
There's nothing like a helpfull response,and this is nothing like................etc.

that tends to happen when i top crop- could just mean its all pure yeast- either way it will keep good for 3 months in the fridge- like a slurry

incidentally do check the fridge often, just had the fun of removing 3 bottles of 6mnth+ old slurry (mostly cheapass s-05 so no worrys)- mmn meaty :drink: :sick:

Yes Dux exactly like yours although as I've said its like a set custard and not at all like the text book job I done with the wizen 3068.

My only thoughts are I used some oats when I done the Thumper clone and thats caused the yeast to behave like it has in the bottom of the FV !

Its currently in the fridge after countless shake ups and still looking set when settled .

Wilsoa thanks for the fridge tip ,have a 3068 "8 months old in the fridge" will give it a check tonight.Have never top cropped ,however dispite what I've read about Ringwood being slow mine went off like a rocket and brought down og 1060 to 1013 for 6% .Did leave in FV for 10 days which I kegged at the weekend beer tasted fantastic and no off smells from trub .

Thanks for reply

:cheers:

Wilsoa, just had a wiff of the 9 month old 3068 in the fridge :sick: just as well as I was planing a wizen .Will be ordering fresh yeast.

Latest posts

Back