River Thames 'severely polluted with plastic'

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to see everyone is reacting to the photo of plastic rubbish in the OP whereas the actual post is about MICROPLASTICS.

The OP is about microplastics in the river but littering is also a big problem everywhere i hate seeing piles pf rubbish left by ignorant visitors who travel to a beauty spot then do this.

1595760451516.png

1595760501601.png

1595760579555.png

Attachments

• 1595760125826.png
    1595760125826.png
    488.8 KB · Views: 61
Chippy I take your point about taking your rubbish home, but at least people are leaving it in carrier bags by the bin. I have seen many times, as I am sure others have too, young yobbo types throw McDonald burger and fries wrappers, boxes, drink cups straight on the ground when there is an empty litter bin right there no more than 2 feet away FFS!
That's what gets my blood boiling.....:mad:

I live about 5 mins from a Mcshite which is where a lot of people seem to finish the **** they have bought and think my front garden is a bin. The company do employ litter pickers but they only operate around the restaurant.

I'm not a "greenie" by no means but, the amount of plastic used in the world is starting to bother me. This stuff isn't going away. It will be around for centuries in a lot of cases.

People that go to these weekend music festivals but these cheap nylon tents and leave them behind. People do the same at the beach too. I've seen pictures of hundreds of them left behind. Nylon takes a LONG, long time to break down.

I'm not a "greenie" by no means but, the amount of plastic used in the world is starting to bother me. This stuff isn't going away. It will be around for centuries in a lot of cases.

People that go to these weekend music festivals but these cheap nylon tents and leave them behind. People do the same at the beach too. I've seen pictures of hundreds of them left behind. Nylon takes a LONG, long time to break down.

Yeah, we started to look around and realise the world seriously is at a point where we need to just stop now and do things differently, hence the changes we made, and are still making (also, I switched from fizzy drinks in bottles to in aluminium cans, which get crushed and go in the recycling bin). Still on our to do list is to step up our composting game. The 3 compost bins we have are the normal big plastic ones, we want something that can compost more things.

Oh, and re litter, there used to be a litter bin by the ball park opposite our house. We didn't get THAT much litter. Then some yobs kicked it over (as in off it's pole), so instead of repairing it the council removed it completely. Now the folks (kids and young adults use the ball park) just throw their rubbish over our front wall (they sit on the wall too as there are no benches over at the ball park). We've got to get bin lid locks too, as wonderful little brats have decided that knocking our bins over is a wonderfully fun game to play.....

Latest posts

Back