Roll out the "Kenny!"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wez

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's been ages since I've brewed a "Big Kenny" - hoping to get this one brewed in the next few days, probably over 2 evenings :cool:

Target OG 1.047 (80% Brewhouse Eff)
Target FG 1.013 (73% attenuation)
Target ABV 4.5%

Batch Size - 60L
Mash 67c 60 Mins
Boil 60 Mins

Grist
10.9KG Maris Otter Pale Malt (92%)
590g Torrified Wheat (5%)
190g Crystal Malt (1.5%)
120g Roasted Barley (1%)
60g Chocolate Malt (0.5%)

Hops
Challenger (fwh) to 32 IBU
60g Fuggles at 15 mins
60g Bobek at 80c steeped for 30 mins

Having a bit of a play around with the hop schedule with this one :thumb:

woollie said:
just on the last few pint's of a 22l batch of big kenny .got to do this one again,hope all goes well :cheers:

It's nice to hear "Big Kenny" keeps getting brewed, he'd be proud if he knew :thumb:

With all this praise I'll have to give it a go :thumb:
If it's not impolite, who is/was Kenny?

Ian said:
With all this praise I'll have to give it a go :thumb:
If it's not impolite, who is/was Kenny?

"Big" Kenny was one of my relatives from Glasgow who sadly passed away in September 2007 - I came up with this beer in his memory and it turned out rather well :thumb: The "Big" bit of "Big Kenny" was nothing to do with his size, he has a son also called Kenny so they were known as "Big Kenny" & "Little Kenny" ;)

Give it a try I really like it :grin:

Mash started at 19:20, sparge water heating at the moment. 66.5c mash. Planning on collecting wort to required sugar points (3055 = 65x47) tonight then diluting down to preboil volume nice and early tomorrow morning and doing the boil.

Hopefully it should prove to be a nice family friendly split brewday :thumb:

No pics, can't be arsed :grin:

Colleted 47L which equates to 3050 sugar points, that's near enough for me :cool:

Will boil tomorrow :thumb:

Diluted down to 80L at 1.040 - it's just coming to the boil now :thumb:

You're up earlier than me on a Saturday! have a good one :cheers:

All done :thumb:

Hit target OG bang on 1.047 overshot volume by 4L with a total of 64L in FV's.

I'm delivering 20L of the wort to my mate who brews kits to ferment for himself :cool: the 2x FV's that I'm keeping I've used the yeast cake from 'Twin Rhombus' which I kegged while this brew was cooling, I split the yeast cake between the 2 FV's :cool: Should get off to a flier hopefully :grin:

Yep :grin: pretty sure he'll like it, I have saved my 5 gallon kit for him for when he's ready :cool:

Latest posts

Back