Romanella red wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesMcS

Regular.
Reaction score
Morning all, happy Sunday!

I was speaking to a buddy mine that the better half and I met whilst in time last year. He reminded me of a sweet, sparkling red wine called Romanella that he introduced us to. It was delicious, but quite lethal!

Has anyone made it before? Or do we think it would just be a case of carbonating any sweet red wine (and has anyone done this?)

Cheers

J

Morning all, happy Sunday!

I was speaking to a buddy mine that the better half and I met whilst in time last year. He reminded me of a sweet, sparkling red wine called Romanella that he introduced us to. It was delicious, but quite lethal!

Has anyone made it before? Or do we think it would just be a case of carbonating any sweet red wine (and has anyone done this?)

Cheers

J

*Rome.. damn phone

You, the friend and the wife all in time was very funny!
Cannot help with the wine question though, I'm sure someone will come along and offer advise.

Not so much SwiftKey, as sh*tkey sometimes :-) might just have a crack at it anyway - if you're ever in ROME, be sure to try it!

I've never tried it, so can't guess at what to do for the flavour profile, but in theory, if you could make a sweet red that tasted similar to what you remember and carbonate it then it should work.

Cheers Mr. Trog - so same as beer - sugar solution in the bottling bucket and job's a goodun?

It should be, but you may need to get some of the sweetness from sweeteners. I've only ever made dry sparkling wines before, but if it's sweet that means sugar is still there which will either mean the yeast are still working, the alcohol has killed the yeast or fermentation has stuck - in the latter two priming wouldn't work, in the first one you'd get bottle bombs.
The way I'd do it is ferment to the %abv you want, let it ferment dry, add sweetener to the sweetness you want, then bottle and prime - remember you will need bottles that can hold pressure (e.g. beer bottles) otherwise it won't work, corks would blow out and screw tops would fail (hopefully by tops blowing rather than bottle bombs).
Sounds an interesting experiment though, keep us posted.

Thanks for the tips - I've just about filled the brew shed up now - but when the lager, ale and cider are bottled I'm planning on doing some port, and I'll give this a go as well

Latest posts

Back