Sabro, Talus, LUPOMAX

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
I read a thread towards the end of last week where somebdy was making a cloudy with Sabro and hoped it would taste of pina colada. Not my kind of pop, but while looking for some Australian hops that don't seem to get over here, I came across what seems to be a really good deal on LUPOMAX - a few left in 100g and 250g. I think its about £12 postage for up to half a kilo. I deal with Beerco fairly regularly and they're a pleasure to do business with. By the way, I'm going to try Sabro and Talus (separately) but not in a cloudy. I reckon the former might make a decent pseudo-lager.
Anyway, here it is. If anyone has had experience of using Lupomax (I think they're T45) then I'd love to know how it worked.

https://beerco.com.au/search?options[unavailable_products]=show&options[prefix]=last&q=lupomax

I'm going to try Sabro and Talus (separately) but not in a cloudy. I reckon the former might make a decent pseudo-lager.
Anyway, here it is. If anyone has had experience of using Lupomax (I think they're T45) then I'd love to know how it worked.
My relatively limited experience is that they're quite variable, sometimes the coconut thing really comes through and sometimes not, dunno if that's just my long Covid varying or the hops. But I'm not sure coconut lager would be that nice.

The general reputation of Sabro is that it's a bit of a thug that is best "diluted" by other hops; @chopps is yer man for Talus.

Lupomax is essentially the Haas version of Yakima's cryo hops so use them similarly.

I started off really loving Sabro, but have found the past 2 years it has become a different beast to what it was when it first appeared. What originally was quite coconutty seems to have taken on a rather strong and (for me) unpleasant dill flavour.

Similar thing happened to Mosaic a few years ago. Started out as a beauty mixed fruit/tutti frutti thing, then seemed to develop a weird diesel aroma/flavour.

I started off really loving Sabro, but have found the past 2 years it has become a different beast to what it was when it first appeared. What originally was quite coconutty seems to have taken on a rather strong and (for me) unpleasant dill flavour.

Similar thing happened to Mosaic a few years ago. Started out as a beauty mixed fruit/tutti frutti thing, then seemed to develop a weird diesel aroma/flavour.
I get that from galaxy. Simcoe has been off for a couple years for me too.

I have one going with talus and an experimental I will report back tomorrow. I need to transfer it off the dry hop. I was not very impressed in the initial tasting, hopefully the dry hop changes it.

I get that from galaxy. Simcoe has been off for a couple years for me too.

I have one going with talus and an experimental I will report back tomorrow. I need to transfer it off the dry hop. I was not very impressed in the initial tasting, hopefully the dry hop changes it.

Yep. Galaxy started getting it too. Not sure why that is, but it's pretty sad.

Generally had good results from lipomax. Never tried Talus version although when I used Talus t90 the once all I got was an over powering taste of coconut soap. Wasnt pleasant. All tasters picked it up.

Generally had good results from lipomax. Never tried Talus version although when I used Talus t90 the once all I got was an over powering taste of coconut soap. Wasnt pleasant. All tasters picked it up.
I wasn't expecting coconut from the talus, I just ordered 50g out of curiosity. If the Sabro is as awful as many seem to suggest, I should have probably have saved my dosh. But we'll see.

It's not awful, it's rather pleasant imo. It does dominate other hop flavours though so use sparingly.

My first experience of Talus was in Wild Brew Co’s Wild IPA and I loved it. For the Murgy trial batch it was half of the hops the other half was Citra. All T90. When we dry hopped with 50/50 Citra/Talus split there was definitely a soapiness from the talus so we changed the ratio. We have about 70/30 Citra to Talus in the whirlpool and dryhop now. Still a bit soapy to some, but not oppressive. Never tried a Talus-only brew. I dont really get cocunut from it by the way.

My first experience of Talus was in Wild Brew Co’s Wild IPA and I loved it. For the Murgy trial batch it was half of the hops the other half was Citra. All T90. When we dry hopped with 50/50 Citra/Talus split there was definitely a soapiness from the talus so we changed the ratio. We have about 70/30 Citra to Talus in the whirlpool and dryhop now. Still a bit soapy to some, but not oppressive. Never tried a Talus-only brew. I dont really get cocunut from it by the way.
Sorry. It's my fault for bundling Sabro and Talus together in the same headline.
I've never heard that Talus is coconutty. I had read a post on this forum, but not this thread that Sabro would be used for making NEIPA taste like pina colada.
When I look online for the flavour profile, the dominant flavour seems to be tangerine and then there's some coconut (and others) in the background.
Anyway, when my order comes from CML, all will be revealed.

My main intention in starting this thread was to flag up to the pina colada contributor that the lupomax version seemed to be very reasonable priced in Australia, especially for 250g packets.

I've just been looking at a Barth Haas sheet on HBC692 (Talus), and it appears to be a pollination of Sabro. Coconut gets a mention.
Fair enough.
As we're on the theme of perceived flavours, and this is not a joke or a peee-take, has anyone tried Godiva, either on it's own or in a mixture, and got the taste of mushy peas coming through?

I wasn't expecting coconut from the talus, I just ordered 50g out of curiosity. If the Sabro is as awful as many seem to suggest, I should have probably have saved my dosh. But we'll see.
It's not awful, you just need to know how to handle it, at 20-30% of a blend it can add quite a bit of character but is just a bit much on its own.

It's not awful, you just need to know how to handle it, at 20-30% of a blend it can add quite a bit of character but is just a bit much on its own.
DEYA have been experimenting quite a lot with Sabro. I remember reading the following,.may give you an idea of how to use it?

'A house style pale ale, utilising a little bit of Sabro late boil. Sabro has a very distinct flavour profile. We get coconut and pineapple, with some lemon and a sweet herbal edge. When used in large quantities it can easily dominate the beer, so using smaller quantities in the dry hop we have found, can really boost the fruit character of other varieties. We have also recently found that using it late in the boil helps to smooth out some of the rough edges and brings a lot of depth of tropical fruit flavour.'

I am getting a lot of wood maybe oak, and a creaminess that might lead one to think of coconut from the talus. It's potent hoppy and a tad dank. I am not getting much fruit at all.

We have also recently found that using it late in the boil helps to smooth out some of the rough edges and brings a lot of depth of tropical fruit flavour.'
Borne out by this chart of "survivables" from YCH which suggests they are both best used from late kettle to active-fermentation dry-hop (but not post fermentation). The Janish paper mentions Talus as high in caryophyllene (woody/spice, very survivable), geraniol (floral/rose terpenol), isoamyl isobutyrate (general fruity ester, slightly tropical but volatile so lost in the boil) and 2-methylbutyl iso-butyrate (2MIB, apple/apricot). Sabro has those along with myrcene (pine) and 3MH, the "grapefruit" thiol.

Together those suggest they will come across very differently depending on when you add them, but Talus at flameout and whirlpool, Sabro at WP and active fermentation seem good shouts.

1675387542544.png

Last edited:
Back