Saltaire Brewery & Northern Craft Brewers Sat 13th April '13

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin

Landlord.
Reaction score
On the Saturday 13th of April 2013 the Norther Craft Brewers & Saltaire Brewery will be holding a Competition and Meeting as we have done for the previous two years 2012/2011.

The Competition will be to brew your best American Pale Ale (http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php) a bit of give or take on the style but American Hops are essential, NCB Prizes & Engraved Tankards will be given for First, Second & Third and no doubt a Honorable Mention or two, So get your Brewer/Brewster hat on and get mashing, its open to all who can get themselves & their beer here on the day, One entry per person.
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 30 – 45 FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 5 – 14 ABV: 4.5 – 6.2%

Entry is 3 500ml-1Pint Brown Bottles with no labels or Identifying Marks any colour crown cork closure allowed.

Entry fee is £5.00 per entry, payable on the day, £2.00 Entry fee to the event on the Day for non competitors.

Cash Prizes for 1st-4th amounts will be announced nearer the event as size will depend on entries received but minimum £25 for 1st place plus Trophies & certificate presented on the Day.

To enter the Competition please email Shane Swindells @ [email protected]

Please provide Name Address and a preferred contact email when emailing Shane

You will receive a confirmation email on application and any further information/updates will come via email, closing date for entries is midnight on Sunday 31st March 2013 no entries will received after this date.
Bring Your 3 Entry bottles on the Day & we will issue Tags with your entry number to be applied to the bottles on the day of the event.

The Brewery will be open from 11.30am to accept entries, all entries must be in by 13.00

Now... seeing as you are coming to Saltaire Brewery and we have a couple of bars that will be needing stocking with beer... not any old beer mind... Homebrewed beer :) We'll asking a few of you to brew a beer to be served on Handpull (4.5g Pin or Bag in Box) and the proceeds will be split between the brewers chosen charities, last year we raised £400 I'm sure we can beat that!
We'll be giving the peoples choice Cask beer an Engraved Tankard too, the beer to brew for the bar is to be pretty open but it would be good to stick with the American theme and within 3.5 to 5% ABV.

Oh... did I mention we are working on giving you guys a talk on Hops too, thanks to Andrew Whalley of Charles Faram.
And....... we'll do some Brewery Tours, as if the beer wasn't enough to keep you busy!
Bring your homebrew, swapping and tasting is very much encouraged :)

If you need food, bring your own as its a 10 minute walk to the nearest eatery as is Shipley Train Station, here's the Google Map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=saltair ... y&t=m&z=16 for the Brewery. Their is an Ibis Hotel 10mins walk away too and local Aagrah curry house not too far either :)

Sounds good :)

I'd recommend going along if the previous Saltaire meets are anything to go by.

Here's another bump up of this thread, have you got your recipe sorted, entered the comp?

Franklin said:
Here's another bump up of this thread, have you got your recipe sorted, entered the comp?

No and no :)

I am thinking on it though. It has been so long since I brewed that I have 2 1/2 empty cornies, so I am now thinking along the lines of a big mash to make an APA and maybe an American Red using some steeped grain.

Any suggestions?

I'll be brewing my entry for the competition in a couple of weeks time, how you planned your recipe and brewday?
Saturday 13th April is getting closer :)

unclepumble said:
Not long now to enter this competition, remember cut off is 31st March.

Cheers

Shane

Not forgetting the day will also be a jolly good social, & there is a speaker on Hops etc so you will learn something & meet quite a few Friendly brewers along the way.

This competition also lends well to new brewers, as you get a very fair crack at the whip due to the only one entry per brewer rule.

Get those entries brewed and email me at [email protected] if you would like to enter

Cheers

Shane

Fully Homebrewed bar, 9 Handpulls of US-Hopped beers of a range of colours & styles :) Going to be good :)

Latest posts

Back