Salvaging!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deadhead

Female Brewer
Reaction score
Err...so... if you tried to brew an American amber ale, but somehow managed to not put in any of the crystal malts :tinhat: -but your water chemistry and hopping was all geared to an amber ale , to bring out maltiness and bitterness that will not be there now; what would you do? It's fermenting away. My plan of attack is currently to taste in a few days and to see how I may dry hop or add fruit, or just let it finish and see what like... Thoughts?

As above, I don't think it's too late and the sooner the better: steep the crystal in a minimum amount of warm water for 30mins, maybe add a bit of sugar to compensate for adding this extra liquid to the brew, cool and mix in.

Steeping-and-adding crystal malts will work. Or you could just chalk it up to experience and leave it alone and accept you've brewed an American Pale ale instead of an American amber ale. My money's on it still tasting good.

Yeap, totally just a stupid error. I get all my recipes made into custom kits from the Malt Miller and I get several at a time, as I live in the Highlands and shipping is crazy expensive. I just didn't realise these malts were in their own bag and I didn't see the small bag tucked away into the corner of the big box. But as I was transfering into the fermenter, I went, 'This doesn't look very amber'. I haven't had a chance to do anything else with it though, unfortunately. So I think it will be an American Pale Ale. Still may need a bit of help or not. We'll see!

Back