Sam Smiths swearing ban

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on him. They ought to bring back tap rooms and allow smoking (and fruity language) away from those of a more delicate disposition. I haven't been in a pub for a long time. Strolling through town, even casual observation suggests that they are all now child-friendly eateries which happen to have a drinks license, where profanity has no place whatsoever.

Sounds like the current Mr Smith is a real oddball. Shame though, I love the beer and especially the prices in their pubs...

Mixed views about this.
It's what appropriate, as in many things in life.
If you are in a working mans pub in the back streets of Manchester then it is unlikely that anyone will be upset too much by someone swearing within a group provided I suppose it doesn't get too boisterous
However if you are in a pub where there is a dining area and in it some loud mouth uses the c-word at every conceivable occasion that's different, especially when you have children present. I wouldn't want my three year old granddaughter sitting near to some oaf gobbing off.
Anyway it really should be up to the landlord to exercise his discretion. That's his job imo.
And the bottom line is, what words are included in this ban? It's obvious for some swear words but what about words like damn. And then there are substitute words like feckin or even chuffin.
And can I use the abbreviation FFS, when most know what that is short for?
:nono:

If you are in a working mans pub in the back streets of Manchester then it is unlikely that anyone will be upset too much by someone swearing within a group provided I suppose it doesn't get too boisterous
However if you are in a pub where there is a dining area and in it some loud mouth uses the c-word at every conceivable occasion that's different, especially when you have children present.

Agreed, though it should be clear what kind of pub you're in pretty quickly and if you've got any sense you'll moderate your behaviour based on that. If it's a family-friendly pub (is there anything worse?) then keep it clean. On the flipside though if it's a grown-ups' pub don't bring your kids if you don't want them to hear some fruity language. Actually, don't bring them at all. A pub is no place for kids.

Agreed, though it should be clear what kind of pub you're in pretty quickly and if you've got any sense you'll moderate your behaviour based on that. If it's a family-friendly pub (is there anything worse?) then keep it clean. On the flipside though if it's a grown-ups' pub don't bring your kids if you don't want them to hear some fruity language. Actually, don't bring them at all. A pub is no place for kids.
I agree with most of that :thumb:
However without 'family friendly' pubs that do food, many pubs would have gone under years ago, so its good to still have a choice of where you can go.
Just as folks with kids should avoid a pub with fruity language, drinkers not interested in eating should perhaps avoid pubs that mainly cater for eating out, unless they are prepared to rein it in a little as most with an ounce of common sense usually do. Trouble is unless you live in a big city or town many pubs only really cater for food nowadays since that's where the money is.

However without 'family friendly' pubs that do food, many pubs would have gone under years ago.

That's a fair point. Too many parents are quite happy to get ****** up while their kids run riot in these places though, that's my main gripe.

That's a fair point. Too many parents are quite happy to get ****** up while their kids run riot in these places though, that's my main gripe.

Round my neck of the woods it's usually the parents that end up on that giant net climbing contraption provided as a distraction for the kids lol. The children just wander off tut-tutting. Personally, I've never been comfortable taking my kid to a pub but what can you do when there's a wedding or somesuch to attend?

Or leave them outside the pub to their own amusement while they get ******,seen it far too many times,something as a beer lover I never did

When my lad was about 10 me and SWMBO went to a local pub for a meal and decided to have a pint or two after (no intention of getting hammered) we were chatting and didn't notice the time at about 8:30 the barman came over and politely pointed out that they had a rule that no kids were allowed in the pub after 9:00 which gave us time to have a pint and book a taxi home, a good night was had by all.

That's something I despise is when parents take the kids to the pub and get ****** while the children run about.
Children will be children but depending on their upbringing will say a lot about how they act in public.
I would seldom have taken a drink in front of my children whilst out only on a special occasion and even then my children would have behaved.
Even at home we would have waited until the children were in bed before taking a drink as depending on age they would have gone to bed at 9/9.30 but now it's around 10 as they are older as I don't like getting drunk in front of them but that's me personally.
As for swearing most people do it at though there is a line to be drawn due too vulgarity.

Gerry

As for swearing most people do it at though there is a line to be drawn due too vulgarity.

Gerry

Horrible ain't it? I can hand on heart say my kid has never heard me or his mam swear in all his 14 years. The way some folk carry on, swearing is just part of their vocabulary. There's no profanity in this house; we just won't have it whether there's kids around or not. At work is another matter - it's almost compulsory but I can effortlessly switch between work and home attitude without any thought.

Horrible ain't it? I can hand on heart say my kid has never heard me or his mam swear in all his 14 years. The way some folk carry on, swearing is just part of their vocabulary. There's no profanity in this house; we just won't have it whether there's kids around or not. At work is another matter - it's almost compulsory but I can effortlessly switch between work and home attitude without any thought.
At home my kids seldom hear us swear unless they are in earshot of a heated discussion and my kids don't swear as none of them like washing up liquid 😁

Gerry

Not the old soapy mouth wash :lol:

I thought Gerryjo meant he'd have them doing the washing up! That's what mine's got to look forward to if he starts potty-mouthing. Well he's got that to look forward to anyway so I'll have to think of something else, like standing on his head for 24hrs. Ye that's right - me standing on his head.

Latest posts

Back