Sanitizing using Boiling Water/Steam

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think like most HBers I just looking for the easiest hassle free (and if possible cheapest) way to do things :thumb:

I'm as cheap as they come, hence my bleach and vinegar solution :) Also agree on the subject of waste water; it winds me up seeing people leaving the tap running while they brush their teeth.

I never fill my FVs, I just roll it around the ground making sure every surface gets wet. Also I use one of those mist spray gun things which gets everywhere.

However I've never come across the term WY infection before. So does this mean that it's requires more effort than just preventing airborne yeasts getting a foothold? I used to use Sodium Metabisulphite in a solution to sanitise, which I'm pretty sure would clear your WY.

I usually use a spray gun for star san but that only needs 30 second contact time. Do you think a spray gun would work for bleach solution too as afaik it needs about 20 mins contact time to totally kill everything.

WY and airborne yeast are the same thing. Once it gets a foothold on your kit, star san wont kill it and it will transfer from brew to brew ruining them. so I either use heat ( I oven my bottles) or bleach solution on FV's

If it needs that long I'd go with the FV on it's side and keep giving it full rotations every few mins to keep everything wet, or if spraying give it a new blast every 4 or 5 mins.

I think a new blast with the sparyer every 5 mins or so might work

Look up Star san and find their product description sheet, that will tell you that even Starsan needs a minimum of 2 minutes contact time. This means if you follow their instructions the whole surface should remain in contact for 2 minutes and not just when draining for 20 -30 secs.

You will find however that most people give it a spray and hang the bottle to drain and it works. Same with bleach, I follow Ravey and part fill rolling the bleach around to cover the surface and repeats a few time s over the 20 minutes, again no problems. It's much better if you use warm water as the bleach foams up and effectively fills the vessel.

I know this is an old thread now but my brain is kinda slow sometimes and I was lying in bed last night and an idea popped into my head (after reading about recycling yeast and someone used a pressure cooker to sanitise as boiling water isn't enough to kill wild yeast). In wine making once you reach the desired gravity you add metabisulphite to kill the yeast and stablise it, something not generally used in beer making as you need yeast to carbonate. A good few years back I got a big bag of sodium metabisulphite and made up a mix in a spray bottle to use as a sanitiser, and I this stuff would be ideal for your purposes of killing off a wild yeast infection.

Spray FV with bleach solution, stick kitchen roll to sides of FV and spray again over the top, should keep it wet for 20 mins+.

If using bleach or chlorine based sanitisers in any dilution i would suggest a treatment with a sodium met solution of equal strength/dilution to neutralise prior to use to avoid a tcp taint to your brews.

with respect to wild yeast they are pretty much unavoidable, our major weapon against them is the sheer number of desired yeast cells we pitch so they get out consumed before they can gain any foothold and should they start to develop a population it will be starved by the pitched yeast consuming all the food.

guesstimating upto 200? odd wild yeast cells Vs the billions pitched by yourself ;) the wild buggers dont stand a chance ...

Using only boiling takes, I think, a minimum of 10 minutes to sterilize something.

Back