Scaling extract recipes with Brewfather

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NeilE1970

Reaction score
I mainly brew with liquid extracts…I have limited time for brewing.
But many recipes don’t use the full amount in a can so I had hoped Brewfather could scale according to the malt extract but it only did it with the water amount.
So, I figured that if I could scale the water then I could scale the full recipe. So here’s how I did it..
Assuming I have put in all the ingredients and the water amount for the full brew.
Let’s assume in this recipe the malt extract needs 3400g (more than 2 cans) and the water is a 23 litre batch. The scale factor to get from 23 to 3400 is 3400/23=147.82
Now if I divide my required extract 3000g (2 full cans) by 147.82 I get my required water=20.29 litres. I can now scale the whole recipe using the scale button using the water as 20.29 litres.
Hopefully it’s a help to other extract brewers.

I would probably try and create your recipe around full cans of extract, so in Brewfather enter 2 full cans worth of extract (normally 3kg - 2x 1.5kg if you're using something like Muntons un-hopped extract) and adjust the batch size until you reach your desired final ABV.

e.g.

3kg Muntons Light Malt Extract in 23L will give you an OG of 1.036 (approx 3.4%) OR
3kg Muntons Light Malt Extract in 19L will give you an OG of 1.043 (approx 4.3%)

You could always use a bit of steeped grains an/or some dextrose to raise the ABV to what you are trying to achieve.

I would probably try and create your recipe around full cans of extract, so in Brewfather enter 2 full cans worth of extract (normally 3kg - 2x 1.5kg if you're using something like Muntons un-hopped extract) and adjust the batch size until you reach your desired final ABV.

e.g.

3kg Muntons Light Malt Extract in 23L will give you an OG of 1.036 (approx 3.4%) OR
3kg Muntons Light Malt Extract in 19L will give you an OG of 1.043 (approx 4.3%)

You could always use a bit of steeped grains an/or some dextrose to raise the ABV to what you are trying to achieve.
Hi
thanks for the info but I’m not sure what youre saying. The info I gave was to scale recipes which don’t use full cans. The info I gave works, as far as I know and everything stays in proper proportion without really adjusting anything.
The eg recipe with 3400g was simply an example to show how to find a new water batch size and then use it as a scale batch size.
I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.

Back