Schiehallion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
Next up on Saturday is a lager from Harviestoun Brewery, recipe from Marc Ollosson's book. Comes highly recommended from callumscott and abey :thumb: I've not tasted the real thing

Lager malt and wheat malt
Challenger and Hallertauer (Hersbrucker)
WLP830 German Lager Yeast
OG 1048; FG 1011; ABV 4.8%; EBC 5.4; IBU 28 (Tinseth)

Yup, highly recommended! I've got some in the fridge for the weekend and boy am I looking forward to them!

I've had the real thing on draft and the recipe is very very close (even if I did brew mine a wee bit stronger than it should have been).

I take it you have a brew fridge?

calumscott said:
I take it you have a brew fridge?

I do, but it only holds 1 FV and I am also brewing an ale on Sunday, however I have a cellar at ambient 16C which would mean the wort at ~14C, which is at the top end for WLP, so we will see.

Schiehallion is a good lager and if I ever decided to clone a lager then this would probably be it. Had it on tap and in the bottle a number of times. They call it a lager beer, which I think is a good description, seems somewhere between lager and an ale. It's hoppier than normal lagers, has a bit more body and a lighter fizz. Would recommend getting a bottle. Good luck with it.

A truly enlightening pint, delicious when you get past the initial "Hop Kick" :electric: first tried in The Guildford Arms top of Rose Street (Ednbrgh) where I became a regular when passing through each month. I no longer travel that way but I have seen it in a local pub that has its own brewery (8 barrel plant) The Crown at Crowlas. :thumb:

The real thing, a mountain in Perthshire, Sidh Chailleann meaning the Fairy Hill of the Caledonians, also the physical centre of Scotland

Good Ed said:
The real thing, a mountain in Perthshire, Sidh Chailleann meaning the Fairy Hill of the Caledonians, also the physical centre of Scotland

Climbed it a couple of times, first place I ever looked down into a fighter plane's cockpit...

...while it shot past below me at stupid knots!

calumscott said:
first place I ever looked down into a fighter plane's cockpit...

...while it shot past below me at stupid knots!

I have seen a car nearly go off the road going round this corner when I jet decided to climb from beneath him

1117033.jpg

I was in the relative safety of a boat in the loch below. :lol: :lol:

from geography to chemistry, Salifert kit for alkalinity; result CaCO3 = 131ppm, reduced to 30ppm with CRS

Test for calcium; result Ca =70ppm, made up to 150ppm with CaSO4 = 11g, 7g added to mash, 4g added to boil

Latest posts

Back