scottish trip - bottle swaps?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scottish trip part 2 - Yay!!!

View attachment 96828

We'll be in visiting Stirling on the 21st on the train during off peak train travel
and will likley be visiting a distillery by train when in inverness. We've learnt that we prefer speyside whisky.
Probably a car trip to skye on Sunday from inverness but depends on weather.
We'll be taking a mini fridge with some homebrew.

If you are near and want to do a swap just ping me. My signature of stock is fairly uptodate.
I stay in Dingwall so not far away.
Inverness has the Black Isle Brewery bar. Not really a taproom as the brewery is elsewhere, good pizzas. Can get surprisingly busy and justifies their planning permission for a new bar & brewery.
Phoenix is bad either for hand pump stuff.

Train/bus to Forres for BenRomach distillery. Then onwards to Elgin for Glen Moray. If time allows wander round to Gordon & MacPhail and hope you time it just right for them doing samples. Actually, this wasn't you was it?

Edinburgh - Moonwake is great. Proper little taproom in the brewery.

Thats some haul to Thurso unfortunately I wont be here away else where overseas. For next year on your way back you have Loch Lomond Brewery at Vale of Leven . Admittedly there tap room is in an Industrial Estate but the beer is good . I often take my camper there with mates and we park there for the night . Definitely no views of Loch Lomond though.

I stay in Dingwall so not far away.
Inverness has the Black Isle Brewery bar. Not really a taproom as the brewery is elsewhere, good pizzas. Can get surprisingly busy and justifies their planning permission for a new bar & brewery.
Phoenix is bad either for hand pump stuff.

Train/bus to Forres for BenRomach distillery. Then onwards to Elgin for Glen Moray. If time allows wander round to Gordon & MacPhail and hope you time it just right for them doing samples. Actually, this wasn't you was it?

Edinburgh - Moonwake is great. Proper little taproom in the brewery.

No that wasn't me. Just me and the Mrs on this trip. Ta for the black isle recommendation athumb..

I’m near Thurso (Halkirk). If you still plan this far north let me know, I’m usually working from home on a Tuesday so might be able to grab half an hour for a quick blether! Not many real ale places up here. The comm bar in Thurso usually has a cask ale on (but just one pump). The Ulbster arms hotel in Halkirk has a quaint wee pub which usually has Orkney gold and some sort of IPA on tap.

John o groat brewery well worth a visit - their week nook/bar is lovely if they have the fire on and they make their own stuff. Just across the road is the relatively new 8 doors distillery which is really nice. They don’t have any of their own whisky yet as still quite new but lovely distillery to visit - very modern.

Then in Thurso there’s Wolfburn, cracking dram! Nice wee tour in there too. Right behind where I work (BT). If you head over the wick side you have the legend that is Old Pultney, probably the best tour in Caithness. Very light on breweries this north though. Black Isle Brewery is my fav, their pub is brilliant (will be there tomorrow night actually!) and they usually have loads of guest beers as well as their own stuff. Their nitro porter is awesome!

Hope you enjoy Bonny Scotland! 🏴

I’m near Thurso (Halkirk). If you still plan this far north let me know, I’m usually working from home on a Tuesday so might be able to grab half an hour for a quick blether! Not many real ale places up here. The comm bar in Thurso usually has a cask ale on (but just one pump). The Ulbster arms hotel in Halkirk has a quaint wee pub which usually has Orkney gold and some sort of IPA on tap.

John o groat brewery well worth a visit - their week nook/bar is lovely if they have the fire on and they make their own stuff. Just across the road is the relatively new 8 doors distillery which is really nice. They don’t have any of their own whisky yet as still quite new but lovely distillery to visit - very modern.

Then in Thurso there’s Wolfburn, cracking dram! Nice wee tour in there too. Right behind where I work (BT). If you head over the wick side you have the legend that is Old Pultney, probably the best tour in Caithness. Very light on breweries this north though. Black Isle Brewery is my fav, their pub is brilliant (will be there tomorrow night actually!) and they usually have loads of guest beers as well as their own stuff. Their nitro porter is awesome!

Hope you enjoy Bonny Scotland! 🏴
Hi, I did Thurso last year and visited John o Groats brewery, and went to dunnet head just to get a bit further north than JOG.

Black isle is on the list. athumb..

Re: Inverness area

It's too bad Dog Falls Brewing doesn't have a shop, as they have some cracking beers. You may be able to find their beers at the Highlander Pub.

Cromarty Brewery on the Black Isle is worth popping into for a few cans (no tours, no tap room).

My husband isn't into hop juice bombs and anything strong, so he loves the traditional ales from the Cairngorm Brewery. They do tours, not sure when they're on, and tastings are from the bottle, but the Winking Owl pub in Aviemore has them available in pint format.

Cawdor Tavern has excellent food and has beers from the Orkney Brewery (currently owned by the same owners, though it's up for sale)

There is the Uilebheist Distillery (and Brewery) - I have never been in though.

I have an unfortunately incredibly busy weekend next weekend with rehearsals and concerts, so I'm not sure I will be able to meet you!

Last edited:
Cromarty Brewery on the Black Isle is worth popping into for a few cans (no tours, no tap room).
They aren’t doing tours at the moment but they have a lovely range of beers (nice woolly hats too!), I picked these up last week, wish I’d got some more now.

IMG_3584.jpeg

Scottish trip part 2 - Yay!!!

View attachment 96828

We'll be in visiting Stirling on the 21st on the train during off peak train travel
and will likley be visiting a distillery by train when in inverness. We've learnt that we prefer speyside whisky.
Probably a car trip to skye on Sunday from inverness but depends on weather.
We'll be taking a mini fridge with some homebrew.

If you are near and want to do a swap just ping me. My signature of stock is fairly uptodate.
Hi, I'm just back from some time in Orkney, and I know I'm not around much but you would be welcome to pick up a couple of cans of an aged Dubbel in Stirling on the 21st - If I can get my act together to can them. I am working in the hospital from 6pm till midnight, and do have things on during the day, however I am 5 min on foot from the city centre, so if you ping me on the day I can easily nip in and drop them off. Don't feel you need to reciprocate :) . If you are on for this then pm me and I'll send you my number.

Anna

Hi, I'm just back from some time in Orkney, and I know I'm not around much but you would be welcome to pick up a couple of cans of an aged Dubbel in Stirling on the 21st - If I can get my act together to can them. I am working in the hospital from 6pm till midnight, and do have things on during the day, however I am 5 min on foot from the city centre, so if you ping me on the day I can easily nip in and drop them off. Don't feel you need to reciprocate :) . If you are on for this then pm me and I'll send you my number.

Anna
Pm'd athumb..

Brilliant to meet up today, and thank you so much for the selection of beers. I'll be trying them on Friday, and looking forward to it! Always a little bit of wonderful to meet up with a fellow home brewer, someone who within a few minutes of meeting, you can talk with about the merits of different yeast varieties and it not seem weird 😁 🌟

Brilliant to meet up today, and thank you so much for the selection of beers. I'll be trying them on Friday, and looking forward to it! Always a little bit of wonderful to meet up with a fellow home brewer, someone who within a few minutes of meeting, you can talk with about the merits of different yeast varieties and it not seem weird 😁 🌟
Yes it was uber cool brings the forum to life. I thought it could be a bit nerdy but having a good old chinwag with a fellow brewer is a pleasure. Non brewers just don't want to know although are often keen to drink the results 🙄

One of the takeaways from our chat was I can never match your brew setup 😭 but I like the sound of a dissolved oxygen meter 🤔 awesome can design btw. Pics when I open them.

Back