Sediment / force carbing / filtering

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABHB

Reaction score
Would appreciate anyone's thoughts on my plans to get rid of as much sediment as I can. Brewing an IPA

Got a few parties coming up and like a fool I have promised to take a barrel or 2 to each. My concern is stirring up the sediment getting there so I was thinking about after the 2nd fermentation transferring it into another barrel, which I expect will knock all the life out of it. This should then leave the sediment in the first barrel.

I was then looking to force carb using the little bullet co2 capsules to re-fizz it.

Questions I have are

-will this work!
-how long does it take for the co2 to be absorbed when force carbing
-how many capsules.
-if I also filtered it during the transfer will this cause any problems

The beer will be drank as soon as it's ready, won't be sat round for long after the transfer

Thanks for any advice, or other suggestions.

Unfortunately not, I had the same thoughts as you when I first started brewing.

There is not enough C02 in those small bullets to force carb (or it would take a helluva lot of them). They are mainly used for serving purposes, not to add C02 into the beer. If you want to force carb then you need to go the Corny Keg route, about £200 should get you a set up for this. When you draw off your first pint from a Corny you remove any residual yeast still left in your brew and usually always end up with a clear beer with no filtering necessary.

I filtered beer through a 10 micron filter (smaller than ?0.5? Micron will kill your yeast and you'll have to force carb) but it's a lot of hassle for results you can achieve by other means. Besides with you prime your beer you start the brewing process over again and that's why you get yeast at the bottom of your bottles.

Your best way for a clear beer is time and cool temperatures. Give your brew plenty of time in each stage of Fermenting, Conditioning and Chilling. Don't get greedy when bottling, keep your syphon well away from the trub at the bottom. A brew fridge really helps but if you can make space in your household fridge it really makes a big difference.

You can also try gelatin which I've heard helps and there are Kegs that draw the beer from the top instead of the bottom where all the yeast gathers.

Also if you are going to bring a barrel, bring it a week early to give the yeast time to settle during transport. I mistakenly brought a Stout of mine for a mate but it shook up while I was bringing it round, not only did it explode when opening, the yeast mixed through the beer spoiling the taste. At least with a stout, it wasn't cloudy but it wasn't a great decision or a big success.

Latest posts

Back