Sediment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prospectjim66

Reaction score
Morning all, a quick question from a novice brewer. When I bottle my beer and leave for a few weeks I tend to get a little sediment in each bottle which I throw away once I’ve poured bottle into the glass. I’m using homebrew brewing kits and it all goes to plan, tastes good (imo) but I’d just appreciate a hint on what I’m doing wrong to get the sediment, or is that normal for kits?
Thanks
Jim

Its mainly yeast that was in suspension in the beer that you bottled, then after it had consumed the priming sugar you added to the bottles, it went dormant or died and dropped to the bottom of the bottle as it was conditioned.

The type of yeast used can dictate how much and how tight or loose the sediment will be, a highly floculant yeast will stick to the base like glue.

It isn't because it's a kit, this is normal for any beer. How much you get will depend upon how soon you bottle it after fermentation, i.e. how cloudy it is. The more solids there are in suspension, the more there is to settle out on the bottom of the bottle.
If you're only getting a little sediment, and the beer tastes good, then you're doing it perfectly!

Back