Session NZIPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RZH

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get this going next week. After all the ridiculous IIPAs/DIPAs I've been drinking over the last couple of years I've decided to give my liver a rest!

Of late I've recently fallen in love with hoppy session beers, with Buxton Moor Top possibly being my favourite example of the style.

I've been doing a bit of research and I'm really interested in doing a brew with hops from NZ. I'm after really punchy bitterness and lovely tropical notes in a drinkable beer that comes in at around 4% or so.

I'm conscious of the fact that super-hoppy low ABV beers can run the risk of becoming pale hop soups so I've tried to give it a chance with a couple of malts.

Plan to mash at 66, and ferment with good old US-05. Will probably dry hop it as well.

A combination of my dodgy home-made equipment and novice status mean my efficiency is still only around 66-70%. Hopefully it'll improve as I go.

Aside from what I've read, I know nothing about these NZ hops so if anyone has any first-hand experience it would be great to here.

Critique away!

NZIPA_zpslcdkfnir.png

The only thing I'd check is each hop's general suitability for bittering or aroma. I found the Galaxy which I recently used (ok, it is Australian) becomes slightly bitter when used in large amounts as a dry hop. Worth having a quick look online anyway.

The only thing I'd check is each hop's general suitability for bittering or aroma. I found the Galaxy which I recently used (ok, it is Australian) becomes slightly bitter when used in large amounts as a dry hop. Worth having a quick look online anyway.

Good point. Gonna research the hops a bit more, already done some reading, thinking I may replace the Waimea bittering addition with some Pacific Jade based on what I've read. Also looking at replacing the Rakau with some Motueka. Defo gotta keep it Kiwi though!

I've done a bit more reading and have tweaked the hops accordingly.

I'm hoping this should give a lovely crisp bitterness with tonnes of tropical aroma.

It's too late now anyway, the hops are in the post! I'm planning to get this one cooking on Tuesday.

uAUiNOm.png

As you love Moor Top (I'm a big fan too), you could try a similar brew to this with Chinook hops, at some point.

That's a good idea. At the moment I'm really into my session stuff. I'm amazed at the amount of flavour some breweries are getting out of such low ABV beers.

Low ABV limits the malt presence but with such strongly flavoured hops available now you can get loads of hop flavour. The low ABV beers that work for me tend to be very hoppy, but I love hop flavour and bitterness. The yeast can play a big part too. And you can use more strongly flavoured malts carefully too, or have a chunk of Munich malt to build the body. Or mash at a high temperature to reduce the fermentability of the wort.

...but I love hop flavour and bitterness.

Same here, the more bitter, the more better in my eyes.

And yeah, I've added a bit of Munich for that reason. Planning to mash at 68 or so, I can't be 100% precise with my gear but that's half the fun!

I've got a completely clear day tomorrow *touch wood* and the hops arrived today so I should be good to go. Might get a live brewday thread going like the ones I've seen lately!

lnuUcKI.jpg

...because I wanted to know how this beer turned out? I am planning two beers using a combination of Southernn Hemisphere hops. The first has Waimea for the bittering and then Motueka and Wai-iti for 15,5 and flameout. The second has the same but Summer instead of Motueka.

Back