Sestos D1S-VR-220 PID

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridley

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Sestos D1S-VR-220 PID?

I am looking at the "manual" http://www.sestos-hk.com/english/download/d1s-en.pdf

Am I right in thinking that pins 1, 11 and 12 are for the alarm so I can ignore if no alarm fitted?

Pins 3, 4 are for the tthermocouple so what is 5 for? I presume it is for the earth connector on some probes but just want to check before spending ages wiring it up.

Ridley

Yes 1,11 and 12 are just for the alarm, pin 5 would be for a PT100 type probe with 3 wires etc.

I take it you have a 2 wire K type probe for it or something along those lines???

Yes it came with a K type probe.

It will work with a PT100 though

Ridley

Once set up the Sestos unit should work a treat for you, However the manual or should i say instruction sheet with the sestos unit is pretty naff, i found this
http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manua ... %203.4.pdf

which is for a different make much easier to digest and understand. i think the sestos is a cheaper clone of the auber unit? not all the auber features are available such as farenheight display, so check the sestos sheet for the legal parameter options and use the auber manual to sus out what they mean :)

to get the best out of it set up your system with water and autotune the unit set to your target temp with your working volume of water, it may take an hour or longer than normal to finish the autotune, but then it will be set with optimal control parameters for the job you want it to do.
If you want to use it for more than one task ie heating the hlt to strike temp and maintaining a herms, it may be worthwhile auto tuning for each task and noting the P I and D vars generated so you can manually adjust between tasks.

I built my PID controller last night.
Anyone able to provide basic setup instructions prior to running the autotune?

I used a hefty heatsink but does it need a fan or any additional airflow?
It will be controlling a 40l Buffalo.

8871101385_74be7c8825_z.jpg

anthonyUK said:
I built my PID controller last night.
Anyone able to provide basic setup instructions prior to running the autotune?

I used a hefty heatsink but does it need a fan or any additional airflow?
It will be controlling a 40l Buffalo.

8871101385_74be7c8825_z.jpg

I'm not sure if that heatsink will dissipate enough heat without a fan, to be honest. Those CPU coolers tend to have quite dense fins so need forced air to get much heat out of them. Then again, there's plenty of thermal inertia there so suck it and see. It won't go pop instantly. If it gets a bit warm after warming a batch up to mashing heat, add a fan. If not, so much the better.

Cheers Kevin.
I think I'll have to drill some holes to allow some airflow just in case it does get too hot.

Latest posts

Back