Seven arrests after 'illegal abattoir' found in Telford

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
WTF ashock1

How bad have things got when people need to set up an illegal abattoir to butcher animals and sell their meat.

Seven men have been arrested after police discovered what they believe was an illegal abattoir at a house in Shropshire.

Officers found a "disturbing scene with a large amount of blood" on a driveway in Charles Road, Telford, after responding to reports of a dog being hit by a car, West Mercia Police said.

Inside the property they found one dead sheep and three others in poor health.

The force is urging people to report any suspicious sales of meat.

The men, aged between 18 and 36, were arrested at the address on Thursday on suspicion of theft and remain in police custody, the force confirmed.

Insp Craig Smith said: "Illegal butchery and sheep theft are serious offences.

"Not only are there risks in consuming meat when it isn't from a reputable source but illegal butchery can also cause unnecessary suffering to the animal."

Anyone who spots any suspicious activity around farmland or believes someone is selling illegal meat should contact the force, Insp Smith added.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-52332756

🤮

They've been arrested on charges of theft (of sheep). Are there no 'illegal butchery of animals' type charges on the statute books?

I would imagine not stunning them before killing them would be one (i assume they didn't)

Don't think so...you can chop up what you like I think...like if you've shot it...rabbits even deer.
Rustling,killing the poor things then selling them on...I hope the bastards get prison terms....and end up being someone's bitch.

Things are going feral already?

I think you have to be licenced to kill certain animals for meat. Mainly to check on standards since the BSE & CJD came along. Nothing to stop you killing and eating your own chickens though. Only 4 leggeds.

My pigs were registered, had a passport and ear stamps as such and had to go on a one way trip. Preferred it that way because they came back as lots of joints and 56 lbs of sausages. Made a deal with a local butcher as he took animals direct from the abattoir weekly anyway. Worked out very well. Not sorry to see them go as they were quite vicious when fully grown.

Wonder if it was a kosher killing?

Last edited:
We are so headed for the zombie apocalypse. Im just waiting to read the story about someone cannibalising a C-19 victim as they couldn't get out to the shops as they were self-isolating

The thing is they've probably been doing it for years...to go nicking things like sheep you would have to have at the least a big van. Then there's butchery...I done a little bit many years ago....it's not an easy thing to learn or do properly over night,and you can't really learn it yourself or off the internet. The animal has to be prepared for butchery including bleeding, skinning,gutting ..you really are going to have a mess in a house doing that...all for a few quid..or to illegally supply restaurants..

The thing is they've probably been doing it for years...to go nicking things like sheep you would have to have at the least a big van. Then there's butchery...I done a little bit many years ago....it's not an easy thing to learn or do properly over night,and you can't really learn it yourself or off the internet. The animal has to be prepared for butchery including bleeding, skinning,gutting ..you really are going to have a mess in a house doing that...all for a few quid..or to illegally supply restaurants..

It's probably because everyone is at home that is got spotted then.

You can learn anything from you tube. There was a story in the tabloids a couple of months ago about a bloke who learned all the skills to build his own house from youtube. Mind you it took him ten years to build though

I've killed countless trout over the years..a swift clack on the head and it's done.
Killing a sheep,in your back kitchen is a totally different ball game. They're big,strong and heavy and can probably sense that they're not there on holiday. People doing this are used to it and have been doing it,in those conditions for years...

I've killed countless trout over the years..a swift clack on the head and it's done.
Killing a sheep,in your back kitchen is a totally different ball game. They're big,strong and heavy and can probably sense that they're not there on holiday. People doing this are used to it and have been doing it,in those conditions for years...
“They can sense they aren’t there on holiday” :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

I wouldn't mind betting that they are dead before they get them in the van.

...I'll bet you they're not! Well maybe the one that was "in poor health" wasn't ..
Oh yeah, I didn't read that bit :laugh8:. I would have thought they'd be much more manageable if they were killed 1st. Maybe not stolen then, but got rid of by unscrupulous farmer, who knew they were ill?

Don't think so...you can chop up what you like I think...like if you've shot it...rabbits even deer.
Rustling,killing the poor things then selling them on...I hope the bastards get prison terms....and end up being someone's bitch.
Being someone's bitch in prison, I'm sure there will be some butchering done there starting at the hind quarter 😜😜😜

Back