Should I use both enhancers and finings?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKask

Reaction score
I recently received a home brew set for a stout and a winter warmer for my birthday, i've never made any before, so i tought i'd go for the stout as it seemed easier. The gift came with beer enhancers, which i've used and finings. I just was wondering if the finings would remove anything the enhancer added for mouth feel.

I recently received a home brew set for a stout and a winter warmer for my birthday, i've never made any before, so i tought i'd go for the stout as it seemed easier. The gift came with beer enhancers, which i've used and finings. I just was wondering if the finings would remove anything the enhancer added for mouth feel.
Finings can remove hop some character and also colour, stout colour I wouldn't be worrying about.

Other than protofloc in the boil I've only used finings once when in a hurry but time and temperature will clear your beer. Never heard on 'enhancers' and instinctively would not use them. Maybe it's something that is part of the kit and therefore required - maybe as simple as yeast nutrient or something like that.

Other than protofloc in the boil I've only used finings once when in a hurry but time and temperature will clear your beer. Never heard on 'enhancers' and instinctively would not use them. Maybe it's something that is part of the kit and therefore required - maybe as simple as yeast nutrient or something like that.
I was hoping to get it done sometime around the new year, I have gelatine and shellfish based finings. So there’s a little rush to it, but I’m not sure how necessary it will be.

Just to clarify, the enhancer I used was essentially a more refined sugar mixed with powdered barley and added malt.

I reckon you could be drinking the stout long before then.

No harm using the enhancer it's sugar plus so adds gravity and other character.
Normally as most others are saying the fermenter in a cool place once active ferment finished and then bottling, few weeks in the warm and then leave in the garage you'll have clear beer. It's stout so don't look too hard to see if it's bright, or use a tankard!

Back