Shut Up and Dance (with Kev)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ezraburke

DIPA Brewer
Reaction score
This is an amended version of Shut up and Dance (With Steve) for Paul's brother's stag party later in the year. A big stinky Simcoe/Cascade IIPA. Slight alteration to the original recipe by removing the Special B grain and rounding the hops to sensible values. We'll be using two US-05 packets for this beast.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 65 min
Batch Size: 17 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 19 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.087
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.098
Final Gravity: 1.019
ABV (standard): 10.26%
IBU (tinseth): 77.12
SRM (morey): 8.93

FERMENTABLES:
4.5 kg - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale (62.9%)
750 g - German - CaraHell (10.5%)
400 g - German - Carapils (5.6%)
750 g - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (10.5%)
750 g - Flaked Barley (10.5%)

HOPS:
30 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Boil for 65 min, IBU: 43.06
50 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 34.06
100 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.3, Use: Boil for 0 min
130 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Fly Sparge, Temp: 68 C, Time: 65 min, Amount: 19 L
Starting Mash Thickness: 3 L/kg

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 20 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

In the recipe it say hop added at 0 boil, a noob question I know
So what's it mean ??

In the recipe it say hop added at 0 boil, a noob question I know
So what's it mean ??
Adding at 0min (or flameout) means you extract aroma and flavour but very little bittering quality from the hops.

Thanks, so would you add hops at flame out, then transfer to FV strataway

Thanks so much for indulging a compleat beginner and silly questions
So to be clear in my one cell mind at flame out add 100g off hops, then cool and filter in to FV

So, brewday happened on Sunday night.

We brought strike up to 75oC before mashing the grain. We were aiming for a 68oC mash for 65mins. Unfortunately the strike water was subsumed by the grain despite calculations - mash temperature was low. Hella low. I added 4L of boiling water to bring the mash temp up to 66. We went from 19L of strike to mashing with 23L. Oh well, at least we didn't have to sparge...

Mashed at 66oC for the full hour with no temperature drop.

We bottled up the imperial black IPA whilst we waited on the mash to happen - pics of that badass brew later today!

After mash we lautered and squeezed the wort until we had a pre-boil volume of 19L. We didn't check the gravity although I now think we really should have (more on this later...).

We boiled, uneventfully, for the full hour with the hop additions as mentioned. Eventually boiled down to 17L before cooling the wort down. The wort was a sickly green colour due to the last hop addition at flameout - it smelled amazing...

Now the bad news: OG was 1.072. We were aiming for 1.098. Eugh. A mash efficiency of 47.91% which i reckon was due to the low mash temp that we ran into...

So, the super-strength 10% has come down (potentially) to 7.8% which, in all honesty, isn't too bad but quite disappointing given the volume of grain we were using.

I wonder what else we could have done to improve the efficiency of the mash given the low mash temperature - any thoughts?

Pitched two packets of US-05 into the mix and let it rumble - currently bubbling away like a maniac. We're going to try adding hop tea when we bottle this baby up in a few weeks. Going to allow it to sit in the FV until we do our next brew on the 1st April and we'll bottle that one up then.

Took a sample of this last night, dropped it in the fridge for 8 hours then sipped it last night. A spicy, herbal brew with maximum simcoe impact. Deceptively smooth taste with little to no alcohol burn... but oh my what a kick.

We introduced a simcoe hop-tea infusion for this and apparently (according to Paul who had the first bottle last night) it is exceptionally aromatic.

So, we shall be doing hop tea for every brew we hope to get aroma on.

Latest posts

Back