Signs that the fermentation process is done.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyjay84

Reaction score
What do people look for to check if fermentation is finished? I'm using a coopers kit FV - aus lager. So i cant really look for bubbles.

In a nutshell -
i pitched with the temp a little high 26-27 ish. 24 hours later good amounts of frothy madness appeared, krausen scum settling in the days after around the FV. Colour turning a nice amber, still cloudy. Did a test today (day 4) ran a little bit of brew from the tap. Tastes good, nothing unusual. Hydrometer said around 1.020 However the froth has settled considerably. I know its all probably doing its thing still and wont be as noticeable from now on - so i guess my question is: is it at all possible that the process could stop prematurely? Is this likely if yeast pitched at a higher than normal temp? Temp after cooling has been a steady 21 degrees, without fluctuations.

Any thoughts appreciated. :hmm: :wha:

Thanks!

Sounds pretty normal. There's no reason to think it's stuck at 1.020 after 4 days. If it were the same reading over three days, then that would be stuck, but once you've done a few brews you're unlikely to be lifting the lid this early unless you didn't see the original froth through the vessel.

I'd leave it until day 8, take a reading, and if it's the same on day 10, move it to the cool for maybe 3 days, bottle or keg it: unless you're getting fancy and dry hopping or anything.

So best way to tell is to see if there is change in hydrometer readings? After about 8 days would you syphon to a 2nd fv?

my coopers lager has been stuck at 1.012ish for two days now. There's no foam on the top anymore and its 8 days since i pitched the yeast. any ideas?

Latest posts

Back