Siphon

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Please

Reaction score
Is it normal to have bubbles when siphoning? Or is my syphon dead?
Tia.

1662993733076.png

Attachments

• 46DCC924-1A35-4205-9DF9-553044BD4BFD.jpeg
    46DCC924-1A35-4205-9DF9-553044BD4BFD.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
In my experience, it could be either.

After fermenting, even though beer is not 'fizzy', it will have CO2 dissolved in it. When it is siphoned out of your fermenter, the reduced pressure in the siphon tube will cause some CO2 to come out of solution, which will rise to the top of your siphon tube. This could be the bubbles that you see. If that's the case, then there is nothing to worry about.

On the other hand, any crack in your siphon tube or racking cane, or any join in your siphon that is not fully sealed can be a place where the reduced pressure in your siphon tube can suck in air (which contains oxygen) and this could be the bubbles that you see. If this is the case, then this will slightly oxygenate your beer. This isn't the end of the world, but isn't desirable. There are threads on oxygenation you can read-up on.

In short, I don't know, but you have more information now ;) (my siphon tube is opaque, otherwise I'd tell you whether it's normal to see bubbles or not)

I think Agent is correct I sometimes get bubbles in my syphon but mine is a simple set up no autosyphon just the tube and a Syphon racking cane which has a very good connection.
It is either CO2 coming out or nucleation points in the syphon tube which do get a bit murky at times as they are not easy to keep scrupulously clean inside although they will be sanitised.

If it's an auto Syphon pour a drop of water, or beer, down between the outer and inner tubes just after starting the Syphon.
You could also apply a bit of food grade silicon grease to the seal before you start

Latest posts

Back