Slooooooooooooow fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memit

Reaction score
Gents (and ladies): any thoughts on what I should do with this slow fermentation (I'm on day 17)

I finally got my brew belt, so put on a 2-can brew (Brupaks Colne Valley) as the third kit I'm brewing.

I brewed to 23 litres, starting gravity 1038. I didn't switch the belt on unless it was cold in the flat, so the temperature was 16-17ish after the initial fermentation. After the first week or so the gravity reading was down to 1020. I thought this was a bit slow, so I kept the belt on a bit more during week two, keeping the temperature in the low 20s. I thought it was going to finish up fermenting pretty quickly, so transferred to secondary (and added some hops).

I've been taking gravity readings every few days now, and fermentation is still going on, but really slowly. I'm now on day 17, and at 1013 - there is no haze in the samples I've taken, so it seems like the yeasts are pretty much done. I've wasted at least a few pints just taking samples for gravity readings! The pack says it should come out around 4.3%, so I did expect that it would drop further.

Options:
- Leave it to ferment a bit longer (how long?)
- Give it a stir (if so I'm assuming the aim is to really get the trub back in suspension)
- Pitch some more yeast
- Get it bottled (add sugar as normal?)

I've got a Woodforde's Nelson's Revenge on the go, which after 22 days, is still bubbling the airlock. I normally leave my beer in the FV for 2-3 weeks anyway, but this one will be getting 4 weeks.

Not sure why this is taking so long; wort was very well aerated (had a huge head of froth by the time I'd finsihed with the beer paddle!), yeast was hydrated for 20 mins before pitching and the temp has been a steady 20C. Just one of those things, I guess!

Why have you been wasting pints? A trial jar is only 100ml and enough for a gravity reading.

I'd just leave it a few more days, and once you start getting the same gravity reading three days in a row, bottle it.

My coopers candian blonde been in for weeks and after a stir and more yeast added, last week, its slowly dropping. Took a sample last night 10 16 so a bit to go yet. I use an ikea rose vase for a sample jar, nice and narrow and beer saving.

Cheers. I was thinking about not putting the belt on, leaving it for a few days and then bottling on the weekend. Do you think letting it stay cold is a good idea, or should I keep it warm? Any thoughts on stirring? It doesn't seem like it needs more yeast pitching, just that the yeast that's in there should be working a little harder...

I've only taken around a pint and a half so far (8x100ml samples) - good job they're tasty samples!

You need to keep it between 18 & 20C, ideally. If you take the belt off, the fermentation might slow down or even stop, unless that's what you want. In my experience, most kits seem to finish around 1. 014 to 1.010, the lower the better, but anywhere in that range is fine.

A hydrometer is your best friend, once you get the same reading, under 1.014, three days in a row, look to bottle it.

Back