slow to clear wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pedro68

Reaction score
hi there , i have 5 gallons of WOW which is really slow to clear , i have never had this problem before and was wondering what to do. Im using Kwik clear finings but i have bentonite and was wondering if this would help and if i can add it at this stage and how i would go about it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions .

Peter

Had it finished properly?
Did you stop and stabilise?
Did you de-gas?
When did you add your finings?
Are you sure you added the correct dosage?

I've never had a problem with Kwik Clear, but I don't use the full dosage so it sometimes takes a week.

hi there , yes it had totally finished ,i had stopped the fermentation and de-gassed for 3 day then added the finings, i added 7 ml of each A & B for 5 gallons. its been about a week now and i recon the top few inches have cleared and the rest still looks cloudy.

Peter

Get your sterilised syphoning tube put one end half way down the FV and suck a little up, put your tongue in the end so it doesn't pour out of the tube when you lift it and you will be able to see how clear it is. :thumb:

I have had this before with Kwik Clear. I racked it off the sediment that had settled then added a 2 part sachet of chitosan and kieselsol. Cleared in 2 days with no problem. On that occasion I tried to lower the quantity I was using to 8 ml's of each, instead of my usual 10. Anyway the 2 part finings sorted it out no problem.

Back