Small AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albion

Reaction score
1kg extra pale malt
50g crystal malt

Mash for 1 hour in 3l at 65c
Sparge for 15 min at 80c
5g of summit pellets at 60min
Half a protofloc tablet at 15min
5g summit pellets at 10min

WP_20160304_001.jpg

WP_20160304_002.jpg

WP_20160304_003.jpg

WP_20160304_004.jpg

WP_20160304_006.jpg

WP_20160304_008.jpg

WP_20160304_010.jpg

Bit worried. When I calculated this recipe it came out at 1050 OG, however a lukewarm sample is only measuring at 1030! If that doesn't improve after cooling I might have to dissolve a bit of dextrose and chuck that in 😥

I reckon you need a bigger bag so the grains are looser in the water.

I reckon you need a bigger bag so the grains are looser in the water.

Yep had kind of had that thought as well. Now the sample has cooled right down it is at a slightly less disastrous 1036

Yep had kind of had that thought as well. Now the sample has cooled right down it is at a slightly less disastrous 1036

Did you stir during the mash?

My muslin bag is very similar to yours, possibly smaller, but I haven't had any issues (so far...).

Did you stir during the mash?

My muslin bag is very similar to yours, possibly smaller, but I haven't had any issues (so far...).

I stirred at the start and halfway through. If the beer ends up over 3% ABV that's fine by me. I have ordered a larger bag so I am undeterred, the clarity of the sample alone was very encouraging

Isn't 3 liters a bit short? 1kg is like a 6 liter brew.... So you'll need 1 liter for grain obsorbtion, 2 liters of boil off, and 500 ml for cool down. So you should be at 9.5 liters to boil, I would have used 5 liters mash and the rest to sparge.
My two yen.

I used 3l to mash and 4l to sparge as per clibits how to thread. The amount of wort in the fermentor was right so I must have made an error earlier on

OK the ferment has died down and SG is now 1006, giving and adequate 3.9% ABV.

The beer is full of "floaters" would I be right in assuming this is protein from the hot break?

Will this clear if left in the fermentor or should I siphon off with some voile wrapped around the siphon?

WP_20160307_002.jpg

OK the ferment has died down and SG is now 1006, giving and adequate 3.9% ABV.

The beer is full of "floaters" would I be right in assuming this is protein from the hot break?

Will this clear if left in the fermentor or should I siphon off with some voile wrapped around the siphon?

You could siphon into a bottling bucket. You'll pull a bit of crud through, but then when you siphon from the bottling bucket to the bottles, it's easier to leave the crud behind.

You can leave it a bit longer if you like, some will fall, but you'll still be left with some floaters.

OK thanks.I don't have bottling bucket so I could siphon with a hop sock or some fabric round the siphon I guess ?

If you can put it somewhere colder for a few days it will help it to drop out, and you could break up the larger clumps with a spoon and this will help it drop too.

Putting voile on the siphon will help with any bits left over.

Cheapbrew is right. I usually cool the FV a few days before bottling to get the beer really clear. I don't know if it removes most of the yeast , so far mine have been fine.
When you bottle, I like to loosely place the caps on the bottles and then clean up my mess, collect the yeast from the FV and write down any notes. During that time, the yeast starts to munch again on the bottling sugar. This makes some co2 and pushes out some of the air in the bottles. If you have a real quiet room, you can hear the metal caps cling on the bottles. From there, I cap them. Just puts my mind to ease. Less oxygen, better off.

Those floaters just look like yeast that hasn't dropped yet. A few days CC'ing should get rid of those.

Early taster. Pros:
Absolutely crystal clear, and carbonating after less than a week. Unbelievable

Cons:
Tasted undrinkably yeasty. Hopefully this will clear over time.

WP_20160311_001.jpg

It will. Give it time. I usually bottle condition at least a month. But, I have brews going every week so I have an endless supply of beers!!! And a good selection.
Today, I'm going to test a theory of.... what's the word for the ratio in where the sugars in the water match the sugars in the grain? Therefore no more sugars/starches can be pulled out.
I want to try 2 identical recipes but use the entire pre boil water amount on one. My system is a recirculating system. I know without it, the normal mashing is necessary.
Has anyone tried this?

It will. Give it time. I usually bottle condition at least a month. But, I have brews going every week so I have an endless supply of beers!!! And a good selection.
Today, I'm going to test a theory of.... what's the word for the ratio in where the sugars in the water match the sugars in the grain? Therefore no more sugars/starches can be pulled out.
I want to try 2 identical recipes but use the entire pre boil water amount on one. My system is a recirculating system. I know without it, the normal mashing is necessary.
Has anyone tried this?

Thanks. No expert but I imagine saturation is the word?
Hoping to brew again tomorrow

OK, so here I am 3 weeks after bottling. The beer is crystal clear, well carbonated with great head retention.
Still has a very slightly yeasty aroma and initial taste. But the beer is very crisp and drinkable. Good bitterness from the strong summit hops.
All in all, extremely pleased! Can't believe it is possible to brew beer this bright so easily. If my AG brews get better I should be able to produce some great beers.

WP_20160322_003.jpg

Latest posts

Back