Small batch - Dingemans pale ale malt w/ Comet

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbates

Reaction score
Lucky enough to have the day off, which can mean only one thing... :mrgreen:

Today I'm going for another single malt, (almost) single hop brew to test out Dingemans pale ale malt, Comet hops and the West Coast yeast from the Malt Miller.

Recipe is (for 4 litres)
1kg Dingemans pale ale malt, which I'm mashing for 60 mins at 68c

2g Magnum leaf (11.6% AA) - FWH
5g Comet pellets (7.18% AA) - 20mins
Irish moss - 10
10g Comet - 5
15g Comet - 0

Est OG = 1.045
Approx IBUs = 38

Hit my target mash temp, 50 mins of the mash to go.

Nice. I'm a fan of small batch (5L) brews. I've started making them regularly along with my normally 23L. I'm going to a 5L Oatmeal pale on monday. I haven't quite decided what hops to add yet either first gold or use up the last bit of Styrian Dana I have

Nice. I'm a fan of small batch (5L) brews. I've started making them regularly along with my normally 23L. I'm going to a 5L Oatmeal pale on monday. I haven't quite decided what hops to add yet either first gold or use up the last bit of Styrian Dana I have

Yeah, I love the small batches. I find them really relaxing in a way the bigger batches aren't, though that may be because I'm still getting to used to my new kit.

Hoping to get in a 20l batch of American-style wheat beer tomorrow, with Motueka and Kazbek, but we'll see.

That sounds interesting - haven't used oatmeal before, or tried it in a paler beer. What kind of effect does it have?

Yeah, I love the small batches. I find them really relaxing in a way the bigger batches aren't, though that may be because I'm still getting to used to my new kit.

Hoping to get in a 20l batch of American-style wheat beer tomorrow, with Motueka and Kazbek, but we'll see.

That sounds interesting - haven't used oatmeal before, or tried it in a paler beer. What kind of effect does it have?

I agree with the more relaxing, as it quicker and easier to make these smaller batches.

I'd never even heard of an oatmeal pale ale (altough apperently they'e quite common and when I started a thread on this style other forumites said they make them all the time), until I had one in my local craft beer pub. The oats add a more fuller thicker mouthfeel, a bit more body. I really like the effect when I tried the beer a couple of weeks ago

I agree with the more relaxing, as it quicker and easier to make these smaller batches.

I'd never even heard of an oatmeal pale ale (altough apperently they'e quite common and when I started a thread on this style other forumites said they make them all the time), until I had one in my local craft beer pub. The oats add a more fuller thicker mouthfeel, a bit more body. I really like the effect when I tried the beer a couple of weeks ago

Sounds great, especially for improving the mouthfeel of something with a lower gravity.

Will the wheat beer beer a competition entry? :thumb:

Latest posts

Back