Smaller batch in a large FV...?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtus

Reaction score
I am looking at doing a Brewferm kit, (probably a Diabolo or Grand Cru) my question is this; is there any issues involved with brewing a smaller (9l) batch in a 25l FV, as this is the only one I have? Or do I just double it up.... ;)

I did one gallon of experimental ale in my 3 gallon FV and it got infected. I think it might be unwise to leave large head spaces as usually I don't have problems with infection and the ale wasn't that experimental as to cause more of a contamination risk.

My thinking is that double the head space will mean there's double the air and therefore double the risk that there will be some sort of nasty in there. Maybe purging your FV with CO2 before or shortly after filling it would eliminate this risk until the yeast took hold?

......or just double up like you say.

About a month ago i did a 9l Brewferm in a full size 23L FV, its the clearest kit ive made so far

I've done a 9L Brewferm Abdij batch, a 12L Kriek and a doubled-up 18L Abdij batch, all in the same 23L FV. The 18L batch got stuck slightly and needed a rouse, despite all my usual good practices in rehydrating, aerating and temperature control, but the single batches went fine. Read into that what you will, but I have to say that I'd still use a smaller FV for a smaller batch, if I had one.

The yeast in all those batches settled really rapidly and I was syphoning off pretty clear liquid after 10-14 days in primary.

I've made a few brewferm kits in my standard fermenter, no issues at all this end, I don't really understand what the problem with it is, if you had two fermenters which are the same diameter but one taller than the other, the same amount of surface liquid would be in contact with the air around it?

Anyway, I'm no expert and perhaps someone else will give you a more detailed response, but I have personally never had an issue brewing small kits in larger fermenters.

As long as you ensure you stick to the standard rules of thumb , eg temps, and keeping everything clean and sterile I don't think you will have a problem :-D

I also did the brewferm Diabolo in a 23l bucket. I did chuck a bit extra sugar in and top up to 12l but no problems at all.

Latest posts

Back