Smelly Fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 40883

Reaction score
Morning Fellow Brewers (my second post)
Firstly may i appologise if this post seems to long and hope its in the correct section.and would like to ask a couple of Questions if i may.
I am coming back to homebrewing after around a thirty year absence ,although only on a small scale, so are slowly getting my gear together.After reading many posts i have decided to ferment using a Inkbird 308 and a Fridge.So last night i managed to aquire a underworktop fridge,but my problem is, the inside of the fridge smells of fag smoke,as it came from obviously a smokers house so it needs a good clean inside and out.So my first question would be
Would anyone suggest a cleaning agent for riddance of fag smoke smell inside the fridge, and after i have finnished cleaning the fridge and there is still some sort of lingering smell , would i be able to still use for fermenting bearing in mind the FV would be sealed with a tight lid, sitting in the fridge lf you see what i mean.My other question is
I bought a round 25 watt Heating Pad ,and was wondering if one of these would be ok using as a heat source in a fridge for temp control or would a 45 watt heating tube be more better.
Off now to don the rubber gloves, any help would be appreciated
Regards tony

Attachments

• 25 WATT Heating Pad.jpg
    25 WATT Heating Pad.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
No i have not done anything yet although i am about to start with wot i can find in the kitchen probably washing up liquid for starters wife is going to get something from her work place later she works in a welll known orange supermarket will try bicarbonate of soda later also

If I'm repurposing a kitchen fridge (one that's had food in it) for brewing or hop/yeast storage, I thorough clean it with a solution of bleach, even using a sprayer to reach the parts that others miss. Then I wipe it dry and leave the door open for a few days for everything to thoroughly dry out.
If you need another brewing fridge it's always a nice thought to buy your partner a nice new, bells-and-whistles fridge for the kitchen and then repurpose the old one. Shame Valentine's day has passed this year.

No i have not done anything yet although i am about to start with wot i can find in the kitchen probably washing up liquid for starters wife is going to get something from her work place later she works in a welll known orange supermarket will try bicarbonate of soda later also
Bicarb is good as well I've used that. Make sure the door seals are clean as that's where dirt gets in

Thanks Landlord I ave found some stuff under the sink ,like Distilled Vinegar mixed with Fairy Liquid and Flash with Lemon i have just tried both on a Plastic shelf from that fridge and it seems to of worked, also found some Domestos mixed with water so going to try the fridge Inside in a bit using all three options to see and then later tonight some Bicarb of soda, i never realised when i bought it about the smell inside. While you are there any thoughts about using a Round 25 watt Heating Pad as a heat Source in a Fridge, or would a 45watt. Heating Tube be better .

Thanks Landlord I ave found some stuff under the sink ,like Distilled Vinegar mixed with Fairy Liquid and Flash with Lemon i have just tried both on a Plastic shelf from that fridge and it seems to of worked, also found some Domestos mixed with water so going to try the fridge Inside in a bit using all three options to see and then later tonight some Bicarb of soda, i never realised when i bought it about the smell inside. While you are there any thoughts about using a Round 25 watt Heating Pad as a heat Source in a Fridge, or would a 45watt. Heating Tube be better .
I use the heat mat it's pretty good can't comment on the heat tube though

Quick update to this post
Having used the distilled vinegar, and Flash with lemon earlier, and bicarbonate of soda tonight,i can say my fridge now smelles 100% much better, so is now ready for fermenting my brews,also i bought a 40watt heating tube earlier,as opposed to the 25watt heating pad i have to collect friday, along with a brewing kit so looking forward to getting BREWING.
Thank You to those that replied earlier
Regards tony

You may also notice slight smells lingering, but they will go after some months. We had a fan oven from my auntie's house years ago, and every time you turned it on, it was like getting a blow back directly in the face. It took some months, but the smell went on it's own. Not sure if a sealed fridge will behave the same, but I'd say the smell will still dissipate over time.

Back