Smoked Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keirtristan

Reaction score
Found an old post or two on this but no real info.

I am wanting to make a smoked Pale Ale after I tried one in London. I am wondering how much smoked grain to add. I have two 1.5kg bags of malt extract from the razorback IPA kit, 250g of crystal malt, 250g wheat and 250g medium spray malt.

I can get a 500g cherry wood smoked malt on line but no idea how much to use.

Any ideas? Anyone tried this?

Greg Hughes book has a recipe for smoked beer. He states to use 700g of smoked malt in the grist, not sure if that translates the same into your extract recipe.

Do you know what else he added Marcarm? On the website I can get it from it suggests maximum percentage of the grain bill but I don't know how extract translates.

I am experimenting but would at least like it to be almost drinkable. Ha.

I'm interested in this too, as I would like to make beer using peat smoked malt (like whisky producers use).

I've put a little bit of thought into it and I don't think you could come up with a definitive recipe because it's unlikely that smoked malt would be a standardised product. I think you have to either start with a brew that has a fairly small amount of smoked malt, and scale up the amount over successive brews or you kind of do it all at once by trying something like this...
http://www.brewgeeks.com/try-ingredients-before-brewday.html

Another method I thought of was to make one small brew with the smoked malt and add measured quantities a little at a time to a glass of non-smoky beer until you're happy with the taste. Then a bit of maths should give you a good starting point.

If you make it work let me know.... haha!

I had read that peated malt was a but hardcore on the smokiness so should be used carefully. A smoked malt might be more forgiving.

There seem to be plenty of recipes for a smoked porter but they are more robust as a beer. Too much smoke in a pale could kill it. That said, it's experimental. I might just add it all to the partial mash and see what it does. I'm not trying to sell it.

Well let you know.

Do you know what else he added Marcarm? On the website I can get it from it suggests maximum percentage of the grain bill but I don't know how extract translates.

I am experimenting but would at least like it to be almost drinkable. Ha.

Hope this helps, I have Greg's book and really like it, in on on the second brew but went straight from not brewing anything to AG and this book helped me a lot.

IMAG1143.jpg

Hope this helps, I have Greg's book and really like it, in on on the second brew but went straight from not brewing anything to AG and this book helped me a lot.
I had a look at that. New to it all but from what I could find a full 500g would make up no more than my suggested recipe which for a pale might be right.

Will try it and if not smokey enough, next one will smokier.

I had a look at that. New to it all but from what I could find a full 500g would make up no more than my suggested recipe which for a pale might be right.

Will try it and if not smokey enough, next one will smokier.

Sorry I missed your reply but see another member has kindly helped out.

I'm sure what you make will be drinkable, it may not be exactly how you envisage it but a lot of the fun of this hobby is experimenting and seeing what you can improve on for the next brew.

Latest posts

Back