Smoking while brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnyc

Reaction score
I have a buddy coming over to help on a brew day soon and he enjoys a cigar. If he has a cigar in the brew shed will this affect the brew?

I wouldn't think so aslong as he doesn't stub it out in the beer :lol: just get him to keep well away after chilling and pitching the yeast.

Personally whatever the risk I'd use it as an excuse and tell him to remove himself from my air and eff off into the garden taking his stink with him :tongue:

It will be bad enough when he comes back in with the lingering aroma emanating :sick: but then I'm an intolerant holier than though ex-smoker :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I don't have an issue with the smell of cigars I quite like it and every now and again I smoke one myself. It was more wondering if it would affect anything

I wouldn't expect someone come round to my house a puff on a cigar in the house or in the confines of a shed, its not the 1970's anymore. :evil: :evil:

But then I am not a smoker never have been and smoking is a pet hate of mine (along with sugar in cider and Black IPA's :lol: :lol: )

Vinnyc said:
I have a buddy coming over to help on a brew day soon and he enjoys a cigar. If he has a cigar in the brew shed will this affect the brew?

You could get him to sit in the fermenting cupboard and it should smoke your beer nicely. Rauchbier anyone :lol:

Seeing as all that is in my humidor is Cuban I am sure it will be one he is smoking

I enjoy a Cuban when the time is right and tend to keep a few boxes around for occasions. I don't smoke inside tends to be out in the tub with a few nice beers. Picking a beer to compliment a cigar is always fun. Sometime you want to cigar to shine and sometime the beer so that affects your choice.
I wouldn't really class myself as a smoker maybe 2 cigars a month nothing else couldn't touch a fag at all.
I have never smoked when brewing as it's always been in the house now I am almost finished my brews he'd I may but doubt it I like to savour a good stick and a beer.

Can't see any real way that smoking might affect the brewing.

My Daddy don't get no fine cigar,
But we know you're smoking where ever you are,
Daddy don't live in that New York City no More (No More)

From the very first Steely Dan album.

Think that was on one of their later ones, mate. Can't Buy A Thrill was their first. What an album that is though.. In my top 3 of all time (along with Rumours and Siamese Dream) :thumb:

Sorry.. Digressionsville! :grin:

Marty some of the 2013 stuff was smoking really good I had a nice PSP 2 2007 last night.
I have a humidor with some slightly aged stuff from 2007 ish. Some Poe la aranga are from Asia pacific and Spain.
It's a pity but as with all hand made goods each individual stick differs. But the quality control from Cuba has improved a lot.

Goat Boy said:
Think that was on one of their later ones, mate. Can't Buy A Thrill was their first. What an album that is though.. In my top 3 of all time (along with Rumours and Siamese Dream) :thumb:

Sorry.. Digressionsville! :grin:

WOW where did my memory go? It's from "Katy Lied".

Can't Buy a Thrill is still great - and memorable sleeve notes, too! :party:

Back