Snub nose appollo dry hopping. Best practice?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing is with this brew it was my house hazy pale and had been brewed many times to the same specs and has never been astringent at all

The only difference this time is I used the Apollo, dry hooped loose and cold crashed which also extended contact time to a week in total. So I’m guessing the reason is the contact time combined with loose maybe? Or the cold crash?

ok first taste of latest brew. with apollo , dry hopped 150 g for two days at day 10 then racked on day 12 all at 19c. Racking issues as filter got clogged so the transfer was super slow but i got there. so keeged and in brew fridge at 8c for 2 weeks. and first taste this evening after 24 days. Good but that astringency is there again. not overpowering at all but noticeable all the same.

Next time i wont dry hop loose. that seemed to resolve it for @Tess Tickle's Brewery

its still early days for me with the apollo so no doubt I will find a way but its strange that ive never had this issue with the many years of hop forward brews with my SS brew bucket.

I generally transfer to another pressure fermenter with the hops in I’ve done a 100g of CML tropical England I’m drinking tonight a juicy English ipa.

I cold crashed to 2 degrees on day 12 then 24 hours later transferred to keg no astringency but a lovely balance of malts and bitterness.

Recipe

Halcyon Pale malt 5kg
Dark crystal 300g

CML Tropical england

20g 60 minutes
20g 40 minutes
20g 20 Minutes
Protofloc 10 minutes

120g Tropical England 10 minutes hopstand at 80 Degrees

Using lallemond New England yeast and nutrient.

Fermented 10 days at 20 degrees

Dry hopped 100g CML day 10

48 Hours later cold crashed 24 hours after kegged and conditioned for 1 week force cabonated.

ok first taste of latest brew. with apollo , dry hopped 150 g for two days at day 10 then racked on day 12 all at 19c. Racking issues as filter got clogged so the transfer was super slow but i got there. so keeged and in brew fridge at 8c for 2 weeks. and first taste this evening after 24 days. Good but that astringency is there again. not overpowering at all but noticeable all the same.

Next time i wont dry hop loose. that seemed to resolve it for @Tess Tickle's Brewery

its still early days for me with the apollo so no doubt I will find a way but its strange that ive never had this issue with the many years of hop forward brews with my SS brew bucket.
I usually bottle but I just did a closed transfer to a keg, I have sample ports in my Apollo's so just put some positive pressure in the Apollo and transferred to the keg. But do you not cold crash? Cold crashing will drop everything out leaving a congealed mass in the cone so that will avoid getting the FDT blocked.

Back